SideFX releases Houdini 14

robert.magee

IIRC it was invite-only, and for paying customers til the end, no? (i.e a "closed" beta group)

Anyhow I think they might've caught harvested more bugs with wider audience at the end. They added/changed so much for H14 it was sometimes hard to even play with all the new features, let alone do any truly thorough testing.

Guest mantragora

So? Am I the only one that get this error? Anyone can confirm it? 

Another bug. I think.

Steps.

1. Start Houdini.

2. Create Geo with any geometry. You can use even default Cube that comes with it.

3. Scatter some points on it. Enough so you could create at least two triangle polygons from them.

4. Group 3-4 points and send them to addSOP to create closed polygon.

5. Again group points that you used to create polygon, but make sure you do this in point selection mode.

6. Again call groupSOP, but this time switch to edge selection mode and select any edge of previously create polygon.

I get crash at this point. You have to start from points in viewport and all  polygons created have to be from those points. If you have already some polygons in the scene it doesn't crash.

I confirm that it crashed for me too.

BTW why do people ask for surrogate crash testing?  I just send the steps straight into Sesi and all bugs have been fixed.

Well It is not bad idea as sometimes SESI support is not able not reproduce it - this way we can confirm that the problem is not related to hardware.

Guest mantragora

Submitted as #67100.

Another bug. I think.

Steps.

1. Start Houdini.

2. Create Geo with any geometry. You can use even default Cube that comes with it.

3. Scatter some points on it. Enough so you could create at least two triangle polygons from them.

4. Group 3-4 points and send them to addSOP to create closed polygon.

5. Again group points that you used to create polygon, but make sure you do this in point selection mode.

6. Again call groupSOP, but this time switch to edge selection mode and select any edge of previously create polygon.

I get crash at this point. You have to start from points in viewport and all  polygons created have to be from those points. If you have already some polygons in the scene it doesn't crash.

h9rk3uz9nh3dmxxzg.jpg

So? Am I the only one that get this error? Anyone can confirm it? 

Yes - it crashed here a few days ago.

BTW why do people ask for surrogate crash testing?  I just send the steps straight into Sesi and all bugs have been fixed.

I confirm that it crashed for me too.

Well It is not bad idea as sometimes SESI support is not able not reproduce it - this way we can confirm that the problem is not related to hardware.

Edited by mantragora

Isn't the graphics card the only hardware that can affect it? Then you just look at the crash log for OpenGL driver errors to confirm that it isn't that.

Thanks for the tip!

Probably you are right, but let me give you an example:

I submitted a bug and the support told me that it cannot reproduce it and asked about my configuration.

So I sent it and I was told that my graphics card is not supported with OSX.

I double checked it and actually found it at the supported list, but not on the supported Mac cards, so I was confused and asked for help here.

Then the bug was fixed.

Then I found another thread at SideFx forums where I was told that in fact my card is actually supported with OS X.

So I don't think the double checking is a bad thing at all, but yeah - this thread probably is not the right place for that.

Also if your GFX card is a gaming card so not supported, should we ignore these bugs? Because support says they are not supported (so you are out of luck), but Mark said he still supports gaming cards. But we can't get to Mark without going through support :)

That's one thing that confuses me whenever I hit a GFX related bug. That and sometimes GFX cards are blamed for non-GFX related bugs, for example the UI appearing at the wrong location on the screen or the value ladder being stuck on screen. IMO these are programming logic bugs not GFX card related. If I could get to Mark, I am sure he would agree.

H14 officially supports a lot of 'gaming cards' now:

https://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2680&Itemid=390

Crash reports are easy to read to see if it's a graphics related bug; i.e. below is a stack trace, you read it in descending order of events, lower to top, 7 is the death zone, so before it things like 'R_PolySurfaceGL3'. That reads as a OpenGL 3 error.

2 libHoudiniUI.dylib 0x0000000108d89210 AP_Interface::coreDumpChaser(UTsignalHandlerArg) + 640

3 libHoudiniUI.dylib 0x0000000108d8c47e AP_Interface::si_CrashHandler::chaser(UTsignalHandlerArg) + 46
4 libHoudiniUT.dylib 0x000000010f7c0b92 signalCallback(UTsignalHandlerArg) + 546
5 libHoudiniUT.dylib 0x000000010f9e75e1 UT_Signal::processSignal(int, __siginfo*, void*) + 209
6 libsystem_platform.dylib 0x00007fff904c6f1a _sigtramp + 26
7 ??? 0x0000000000000002 0x0 + 2
8 GLEngine 0x00007fff96645da9 glDrawElements_ACC_GL3Exec + 803
9 libHoudiniUI.dylib 0x0000000108dafa48 RE_ElementArray::drawPrivate(RE_Render*, int, RE_Geometry*, RE_PrimType) + 1512
10 libHoudiniUI.dylib 0x0000000108dda08d RE_Geometry::drawPrivate(RE_Render*, re_Connectivity*, int, RE_PrimType, UT_StringArray*, int) + 1213
11 libHoudiniUI.dylib 0x0000000108dda43e RE_Geometry::drawRange(RE_Render*, int, int, RE_PrimType, UT_StringArray*, int const*) + 446
12 libHoudiniAPPS3.dylib 0x000000010424e104 GR_PolySurfaceGL3::drawAllGeometry(RE_Render*, GR_RenderFlags, int, UT_StringArray*) + 420
13 libHoudiniAPPS3.dylib 0x000000010424cede GR_PolySurfaceGL3::drawBeauty(RE_Render*, GR_RenderMode, GR_RenderFlags, GR_DisplayOption const*, UT_Array<UT_IntrusivePtr<RE_Material> > const*, int) + 2398
14 libHoudiniAPPS3.dylib 0x000000010424d451 GR_PolySurfaceGL3::drawHiddenLine(RE_Render*, GR_RenderMode, GR_RenderFlags, GR_DisplayOption 

Edited by tar

Getting Segmentation Fault errors in Houdini 14.0.241 when trying to set keyframes for an object in both the geometry level and in SOPs.

Also had issues with Glue Constraints not breaking in version 14.0.221

Both of these seem to be resolved in 14.0.249

It seems as if some h13 workflows are broken in h14, they are easy to fix but it breaks older files.  I'm not sure if these changes were intentional or unintentional.

h13 you could pass only density to a source volume dop and it would automatically create a temperature volume

h14 you have to go to sop to dop bindings and specify bind density as temperature

h13 using tetrahedralize to output connected polylines for voronoi split

in h14 if you open a file with this setup the tetrahedralize won't output any geometry till you toggle a paramerter on which didn't exist in h13

I'm not sure if these changes were intentional or not, but it would be nice to keep older file and tools from breaking when upgrading between releases.

Guest mantragora

Another crash. Steps:

EDIT: Actually scratch that. Just create two bone chain and set keyframe on 1 and any other frame and try to change some value on this second key.

1. Run Houdini

2. Create Tube, for example:

- Type: polygon

- CenterY: ch("height") / 2

- Height 10

- Rows 20

3. Create two bone chain from top to bottom of the tube

4. Capture tube with a help shelf tool or manually by applying CaptureSOP followed by DeformSOP

5. Put a keyframe on RotateX in frame 1 of second bone

6. Move timeline to frame 100 and modify with MMB RotateX and try to set a key.

I get crash at this point. The bone system can be of any type, I think. I tested it with No Kinematic and FK and NoKinematics with Nulls that are used as rotations (in this case I set keyframe on second null instead of second bone). It doesn't have to be rotation. Even when I try to modify animate Translate of FK system I get crash on second keyframe.

Build 14.0.245.

Anyone else gets the same error?

Edited by mantragora

Guest mantragora

Actually I just tested and I can animate anything on OBJ level. Even if I put geo node and set two keys on it and try to change value on second key, I get crash. Both x32 and x64 Houdini version. On H13 it works.

I'm downloading latest H14 build to confim it.

EDIT: It's signal 11, so it looks that some segfault

Caught signal 11

Traceback from 6544 ThreadId=0x000004a8
+0xe3875d71 [CH_Channel::getKey]
+0xe38766cd [CH_Channel::insertKeyFrame]
+0xe3919436 [PRM_Float::setValue]
+0xe392aeac [PRM_Parm::setValue]
+0xe1eb7ad8 [PSI2_DialogPRM::saveFloatToDB]
+0xe1eb86e5 [PSI2_DialogPRM::saveValueToDB]
+0xe1eb0c5e [PSI2_Dialog::parmChanged]
+0xe1ed94c8 [PSI2_Vector::changed]
+0xe1b293f5 [UI_Vector::handleEvent]