SideFX releases Houdini 14

robert.magee

Guest mantragora

PS. Can anybody tell me how to disable this ugly viewport background gradient?!

EDIT: Nevermind, switching to grey mode solved this. Who thought that changing light mode to grey mode would be a good idea? If there is new mode added, name it with new mode, like for example Ugly Gradient Mode, and don't change standard mode that was there for ages.

Edited by mantragora
  • Like 1

Wanna watch all those new videos, yet you're an impatient sod like me? This chrome extension will fix that; lets you speed up vimeo vids ala youtube. 

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB8QFjAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fchrome.google.com%2Fwebstore%2Fdetail%2Fhtml5-video-speed-control%2Fejdipbccipeloijefbkiakckfhdbgocg%3Fhl%3Den&ei=kJK7VJ_pCaK6mAXAiIBQ&usg=AFQjCNH46ZWYyQBATAO-qdPH6BdGukXAig&bvm=bv.83829542,d.dGY

At 1.5x speed, all the sidefx staff would make great cattle auctioneers. ;)

• Like 2

3. DM_VportAgent.h should be included after (read: not before) DM_RenderTable.h, to solve this. Also, there is no GR_RenderTable anymore, so when registering hooks make sure that you changed also argument passed to newRenderHook() from GR_RenderTable to DM_RenderTable, and of course include correct file.

DM_VPortAgent.h was missing a forward declaration to GR_PickRecord which I've now fixed.

Wanna watch all those new videos, yet you're an impatient sod like me? This chrome extension will fix that; lets you speed up vimeo vids ala youtube. 

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB8QFjAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fchrome.google.com%2Fwebstore%2Fdetail%2Fhtml5-video-speed-control%2Fejdipbccipeloijefbkiakckfhdbgocg%3Fhl%3Den&ei=kJK7VJ_pCaK6mAXAiIBQ&usg=AFQjCNH46ZWYyQBATAO-qdPH6BdGukXAig&bvm=bv.83829542,d.dGY

At 1.5x speed, all the sidefx staff would make great cattle auctioneers. ;)

Allelujah!!! :lol:  . Thanks Matt! The womans voice is making me sleep so I guess this will speed things up.

Vimeo is really is annoying sometimes (no playlists, no speed controls,no thumnails on the timeline, no "copy address at specific time", buffering issues)

Sesi should consider youtube as well . Either in parallel use or instead of Vimeo.

For example , the fact that are no playlists (e.g. "H14 new features")  makes videos with features live right next to videos that someone should see the first time he opens Houdini.

It doesn't make much sense.

Edited by dpap

dpap: I see vimeo as much superiror to youtube.

No annoying commercials on every step, no junk... B)

You can watch whole channel at  https://vimeo.com/goprocedural

Or subscribe to the news: http://vimeo.com/goprocedural/videos/rss

The playlist is on the top and you can watch it continuously in "Cauch Mode"

I personally don't like youtube at all nowadays. Too many annoying commercials, distractions, slow loadings, buggy playback. Disappearing or copied (stolen) videos all over different channels, deleted official videos based on false accusations (e.g. Blender movie), stupid region limitation etc...

When someone opens houdini there is quickstart section (already since 13.something) with perfectly sorted videos :) :

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=247&Itemid=403

• Like 3

Anyone knows what happened to "Add Point to Group" VOP node? Can't find it in Point VOP or Attribute VOP.

You can create/add to groups using the Set Attrib VOP like this:

post-3767-0-56857900-1421733425_thumb.pn

There was talk of creating some sort of alias, but I don't think that made it in; not sure if it's an exisitng RFE.

Also (for anyone curious) you can create groups in Wrangles like this:

//Everything after group_ is the group name, and any point (or prim) 
//greater than 0.5 adds that element to the group
@group_foo = 1;
Edited by goldleaf
  • Like 5

PS. Can anybody tell me how to disable this ugly viewport background gradient?!

EDIT: Nevermind, switching to grey mode solved this. Who thought that changing light mode to grey mode would be a good idea? If there is new mode added, name it with new mode, like for example Ugly Gradient Mode, and don't change standard mode that was there for ages.

Man how opposite we feel. The gradient background is the nicest thing that struck me. I have experimented to find a good gradient for ages and SideFX pulled it off. Maya´s default gradient is damn ugly and dont deliver but Houdinis gradient is subtle and feels pleasant :)

• Like 1

I have a scene with a VDB volume that isn't too complicated, one directional light, one environment light and a holdout object...

Going from H13 to H14, some of the frame times went from 4 hours to three minutes!  This was a specific case, but volume rendering in general seems considerably faster.

Does this have something to do with the new version of OpenVDB?

• Like 2

attachicon.gifscreenshot-area-2015-01-19-215450.png

There was talk of creating some sort of alias, but I don't think that made it in; not sure if it's an exisitng RFE.

@group_foo = 1;

Thanks for the tip Chris, I'll try that out.

Cheers

Is it possible for apprentice/indie users to download latest daily build or the production build is the only available right now?

Thanks

I sent a bug in to SESI the other day and they mentioned the "were bringing back daily builds" after then told me my bug(s) would be fixed in 14.210. I assume for now 14.201 is the only build available. 

• Like 1

Get Blur P node doesn't work in shop, but when i load MotionVector otl scene it works. It worked when i copied old mantra node. I have tried many ways and i think something is wrong in new Mantra node. Any suggestion? 

attachicon.gifscreenshot-area-2015-01-19-215450.png

@group_foo = 1;

I think - it is inconvenient. I can't change group name using expression and I should loop around all points. For example I want to add some points in group using forLoop and I can't.

Any adeas?

Edited by sanchoflat