Add new/update objects in pyro initial state

borbs727

Hey all,

This is my first week in houdini and I've hit a snag.  I want to test out moving a static object through some pyro smoke that has an initial state to see how the smoke interacts with the object.  I'd like to make iterations on that object (change the size, shape, etc) but whenever I update the geometry, the geo in the pyro_sim node isn't updated.  I've followed this tutorial for RBD objects (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruqn0_ec2UQ) but I can't seem to translate these concepts into the pyro solver.   Any thoughts? Thanks!

I think you should disregard this video as it is of no help for you.

You should make your pyro sim and import the animated static object in your Dop network. Instead of using initial state, it's easier to start the pyro and kill the emission at a certain frame.

RBD and volumes are very different in the way they work so often time doing things like setting up initial states are not done in the same way.

Good luck :)

Thanks for the response, Diego.  I have a few questions for clarification if you don't mind:

You should make your pyro sim and import the animated static object in your Dop network.

How should I go about this?  Do I animate the object in a separate file? Or animate it within the file, make it a static object, then insert it into the dop's static solver?

Instead of using initial state, it's easier to start the pyro and kill the emission at a certain frame.

I think I get this.  So you're saying to run the sim for like 10 frames or whatever, then kill the emission and save out that .sim file.  Won't that cause some separation between my emitter and sim?

I'll give your suggestions a go in the mean time.  Again, thanks

Just save bgeo(.sc) file of the frame you like and want to use as your initial state. Don't forget your fields.

Then load it into the sops (with file sop). And on the pyro object inside your dopnet set the init state to that filesop. (It's Initial Data tab on pyro (smoke) object.)

• Like 1

Thanks for the help guys.  

Just save bgeo(.sc) file of the frame you like and want to use as your initial state. Don't forget your fields.

Then load it into the sops (with file sop). And on the pyro object inside your dopnet set the init state to that filesop. (It's Initial Data tab on pyro (smoke) object.)

Hi pezetko,

Do you know of any tutorials or examples of the .bgeo.sc saving?  I know how to save out a .bgeo from the DOP I/O node in the pyro_import SOP.  Is this the workflow you're referring to? Does this give field info?

When you say to load that data into the SOPs through a file node, where and how do I insert the file?

When I set the init state to that file SOP i'm guessing the .bgeo.sc is the density, and the other three SOP paths are the field info's you mentioned earlier.  Again, any direction on this workflow would be appreciated!  

Here's where I'm at right now with my scene file if anyone wants to take a look and offer some pointers: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2n9KWYP8T6eVnJxS3ZNdDk0enM/view?usp=sharing

Thank you

Mike

• 1 year later...
On 23/3/2015 at 2:40 PM, pezetko said:

Hi I added simple example scenes with comments. Better to do it then watch a video.

More about new .sc compression is in the manual.

For tutorials look around the sidefx.com site.

You can save all your fields to the bgeo file format. Those are only data.

Pyro_Init_State.zip

hi im trying to do this set up,  but the simulation just goes wrong after simulating,  i guess is because im using  .bgeo files,  due im in houdini 12.5, i cant run newer versions,  do you know anywork around?  is there a big diference between .bgeo  and bgeo.sc  for this purpose?