Work in progress

Lukich

which brings me to the question - how can I make something behind a glass glow? I tried to add a glow to the yellow thing and composite it with the incubator, but the results are not very good. Should I just keep tweaking the compositing options or do you guys know of any other way to do it?

Thanks a lot.

please, give me your feedback, I need it :)

14381[/snapback]

I'd suggest studying reference of the kind of machinery

you'd like to make then spending the time re-designg and

detailing the model to make it more convincing.

also carefully making/applying custom texture maps is

about as important as modelling.

-cpb

hey

i think it can be a really cool idea, id go with cpd about reference, but never the less, i'd like too see some more.

are u gonna animate it?

about the glow, i dont know, there is a video about making a nice glow through halo :-(

all the best :blink:

aracid

Thank you guys for your comments!

aracid: It's already animated. As for the glow, the main problem is that the glowing object is behind the glass, which distorts it a little bit. I tried to Z-compose it, but it seems like the glass doesn't like z-composites. I also tried to output the image with a glow onto a sprite inside the sphere, but when I render it with the glass, for some reason half of the sprite gets cut out, I don'tknow why...

cpb: what exactly looks unconvincing about the texturemaps?

Very nice russian, MG! :)

As for your question, I'm not quite sure myself:) I was messing around with metaballs and came up with this nice little effect. It looked to me like some kind of mutating dna strand, so that's what I called it. And since I had a mutating dna strand on my hands, I had to come up with some kind of container for it, so there it is :)

Give it some control pannels on the outer rim make it look like it is actually a useable peice of equipment.  Add some moniters to break up the flow.

14479[/snapback]

I agree with Rei. You should think of a purpose behind everything you put on the machine. So the pipes that lead into the base should look usable, perhaps a canister somewhere that connects to them, or some monitors/dials/etc. at the base of each to give it a function. The doo-dad on the top should also be pretty clear in what its function is.

Adding details that help identify what each part does will also help with the scale of the scene.

Ciao

M

i've had luck simulating glows by using caustics in the past...

basically instead of having a a normal caustic setup (i.e. an object (teapot) sending out rays and hitting another object (floor) to create caustics), you have the object sending out rays and hitting itself as well as the other object receiving the caustics.. this kinda created a nice effect when things were in close proximity towards eachother..

i did this back last march for my intro\outro animation for my reel..

if you're interested in seeing what i'm talking about, go to:

-> http://www.nocturnal-illusions.com/bulb.html

-> click to play

-> select either the intro animation or outro animation

(sorry, it's quicktime for all you qt haters..also, they have sound as well)..

hth,

dave q