Maxwell's

Marc

Just saw the advert on deathfall.com and was about to start a thread; To me it seems like they are heading for the architectural / industry market a bit as they specifically point out that with increasing render times the final image will converge more and more to the 'real the thing'. Maybe I missed something, but there was little mentioning of incredible speeds or much flexibility. Doesn't seem like they want to compete with the other renders in the "classic" animation market, where speed and flexibility are the main concerns.

Anyhow we'll hopefully see soon enough once the promised houdini connection is available with a hopefully free beta-test version like nextlimit usually offers.

Jens

Guest xionmark
but very pretty anyway, there was mention of a future Houdini addon

14468[/snapback]

Yep ... I'm gearing up to start designing the Houdini interface ... :-)

--Mark

Wow, now those are pretty pictures.

I guess they are relying on the fact that as CPU get quicker and cheaper before long everyone will be wanting more physically based renders. Get in there first and you might just clean up.

If the claims they make are half true it could take a huge amount of work out of trying to "fake it". Sure seems to work nicely on the architectural stuff. Interestingly though on the stuff that wasn't supposed to be photorealistic there wasn't nearly as much benefit, especially compared with what I imagine is a very large overhead in render time.

Cool though. B)

Guest xionmark
Hey Mark,

If you are who I think you are, can I be the first on that Houdini + Maxwell beta testing list? :afro:

Thank you very much! :D

Cheers!

steven

14477[/snapback]

Hi Steven!

Yes indeed! I would love to have some beta testers available for this project, I'll find out what the procedures are to make that happen. I've only seen a handfull of test images from Maxwell, I didn't even know there was a web site setup already! But it sounds really cool, and Next Limit is really doing some great work.

I still have a few little buggers to squash in the Real Flow plugins (and a few more features to add of course) but will soon have the Maxwell API in hand and be able to get a better idea of what will be involved.

--Mark

Hi Steven!

Yes indeed!  I would love to have some beta testers available for this project, I'll find out what the procedures are to make that happen.  I've only seen a handfull of test images from Maxwell, I didn't even know there was a web site setup already!  But it sounds really cool, and Next Limit is really doing some great work. 

I still have a few little buggers to squash in the Real Flow plugins (and a few more features to add of course) but will soon have the Maxwell API in hand and be able to get a better idea of what will be involved.

--Mark

14517[/snapback]

Really, those images are stunning. I wonder how easy or possible it would be to get very similar results in Mantra if you have those models and textures?

Guest xionmark
Really, those images are stunning. I wonder how easy or possible it would be to get very similar results in Mantra if you have those models and textures?

14519[/snapback]

Hi Jason,

Good question ... unfortunately, I have yet to see any of the looks/materials (shading language and what not), scene description, etc. I'm getting very curious ... :-)

--Mark

• 2 months later...

Hi all.

Yes! Maxwell, is a new physically render engine.

For now we are focusing to get new revolutionary algorithms thats allows us to get more reallistic images, we are not focusing in render time but in realism.

We are now involved in an intensive development and improving phase for the final product release.

Now the architectural and engineering market are the most interested, but i hope Maxwell can get his own place in the animation market.

We are making great improvements in volumetric rendering and with new displacement techniques, you can see more information in a short future in the Maxwell website.

For Mark, i hope we can talk very soon about the Maxwell implementation.

Ah! I haven't forgotten our i3d shaders discussion.

Cheers

I think if you want to make any impact on the animation market then speed will have to be a major factor...I can't count the number of time someone has wanted to use the latest whiz-bang algorithm...only to find that their budget (time and money) wouldn't allow it...that's why everone still uses reflection maps....

sweet images though...keep up the cool work.