Particles from Houdini to Maya

- as far as alembic is concerned I had luck making it work only with SOUP plugin for maya, to convert rotation attribute array from abc to rotationPP, which is a bit painful

- currently it's much easier to use HEngine to import particle sim from bgeo.sc and recache as maya native particles to get rid of HEngine license dependency

- maybe you can still use old trick of exporting realflow cache from houdini and importing in maya, not sure if that supports rotation though

Edited by anim

- currently it's much easier to use HEngine to import particle sim from bgeo.sc and recache as maya native particles to get rid of HEngine license dependency

Would it be possible to do this from Houdini as a post-render script?  I'm doing this right now but it's kind of tedious to open up a maya gui and keep setting this up every iteration.

• 2 weeks later...

- as far as alembic is concerned I had luck making it work only with SOUP plugin for maya, to convert rotation attribute array from abc to rotationPP, which is a bit painful

- maybe you can still use old trick of exporting realflow cache from houdini and importing in maya, not sure if that supports rotation though

Im not very familiar with cache particles under Maya ,i tried with "create new cache" but Maya print this "// Error: line 0: Cannot connect to file1_0Shape.positions. It is locked or already connected."

This is difficult to troubleshoot without more information.

So you've brought the particles in to Maya using the Houdini engine?

Can you show how that looks in the outliner before you try nCache -> Create New Cache ?

Thanks,looks the same it just print that message,i just select the particles in the otl and go to ncache,dont know if that the procedure,the otl just point to the bgeo sequence,i can see the particles fine but i cant cache in Maya.
Edited by georgeivan

Are the particles coming in as 'particle' object in maya?

When your clicking the button to create the cache, do you have the particle node selected in the outliner?

I think so ,i read them as bgeo and i write just the particles

Instance work with the houdini tool,but i cant make a cache,i have to create another emitter and read the cache?

Thanks!

ewTBeG8.png

Edited by georgeivan

• 1 year later...

i'm in a similar pickle with this right now - i created a grains sim in hou... exported it as a bgeo then created  new node, dropped a file sop in and pointed to the bgeo.  I then exported this node as an OTL

i've got it opening in maya using houdini engine but i cant seem to obtain the colour info at all - it appears that the houdini engine is bringing it in but for some reason vray wont see it - not a clue how either :/

hou_grains_to_maya.JPG

19 minutes ago, anthonymcgrath said:

i'm in a similar pickle with this right now - i created a grains sim in hou... exported it as a bgeo then created  new node, dropped a file sop in and pointed to the bgeo.  I then exported this node as an OTL

i've got it opening in maya using houdini engine but i cant seem to obtain the colour info at all - it appears that the houdini engine is bringing it in but for some reason vray wont see it - not a clue how either :/

In the end i was using partIO,you can have several channels in maya including rotation on top of that you can use instances,not big caches anymore:),2016 and alembic still sucks.

Edited by georgeivan
  • Like 1

@sasho78 I'll give it a shot but gonna try the vray proxy thing again first as I'd like to try and get it as direct from hou to maya without different plugins even if it's free it's just more in between steps.

As I say tho using hou engine I did manage to get the particles in to be rendered so that's promising. Can use the grains upres node too and make that part of the asset for maya with any luck so I can tweak numbers in maya.

Cheers chaps will update soon :)

• 10 months later...
On 2016/9/27 at 3:53 AM, georgeivan said:

In the end i was using partIO,you can have several channels in maya including rotation on top of that you can use instances,not big caches anymore:),2016 and alembic still sucks.

Hello Jorge

I was lead to here by searching, when I import houdini particles to maya thro Partio, maya 2014 always crash then restart. do you encounter the same problem?

in Houdini I delete all detail attribs firstly then save to bgeo files.

could you give some hints?

ca.7z

On 6/8/2017 at 7:20 AM, horizon1231 said:

Hello Jorge

I was lead to here by searching, when I import houdini particles to maya thro Partio, maya 2014 always crash then restart. do you encounter the same problem?

in Houdini I delete all detail attribs firstly then save to bgeo files.

could you give some hints?

ca.7z

Sorry for the late reply.Export as bhclassic and rename to bgeo