hair,fur,fiber rendering with VEX

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I haven't look at it yet, but thanks Arno! Very exciting..

It's an encrypted VEX file and there may or may not be a way to create an OTL from it since they're easier to handle. This is using the Index Files system currently. Has anyone made an encrypted VEX OTL yet?

If anyone gets a hairball running with this shader, please share :) It may be a nice starting point for everyone.

I haven't look at it yet, but thanks Arno! Very exciting..

It's an encrypted VEX file and there may or may not be a way to create an OTL from it since they're easier to handle. This is using the Index Files system currently. Has anyone made an encrypted VEX OTL yet?

If anyone gets a hairball running with this shader, please share :)  It may be a nice starting point for everyone.

15755[/snapback]

How should I compile the sources ??

How should I compile the sources ??

15759[/snapback]

I've posted a query on the SESI Forum and perhaps we'll get an answer on that one. Currently I've only ever seen OTLs which are not encrypted and therefore include the entire source code in the OTL.

EDIT: Usually you compile using the vcc -L and/or -M switches to create an .otl instead of a .vex file. If you don't mind having unencrypted compiled code (hard enough to reverse engineer) but just dont want to include the source code in the OTL, then I think you can compile a dummy .vfl which does only a #include of the real source file. It won't follow the #include when pulling the source into the OTL but will include a compiled version of the code in the OTL.

EDIT:  Usually you compile using the vcc -L and/or -M switches to create an .otl instead of a .vex file.  If you don't mind having unencrypted compiled code (hard enough to reverse engineer) but just dont want to include the source code in the OTL, then I think you can compile a dummy .vfl which does only a #include of the real source file. It won't follow the #include when pulling the source into the OTL but will include a compiled version of the code in the OTL.

15760[/snapback]

All right, I uploaded the OTL library (and replaced the previous upload) !!!!

!! BUGFIX !!  <_<

15813[/snapback]

Cheers Arno!!!

I haven't tried it yet (just got back) but I wanted to shout out a big "THANKS!" for sharing the implementation. Now I need to find a copy of that paper and go through it with your implementation (and enhancements/corrections) next to it -- I'm sure it will be very educational.

Thanks again! :)

Cheers Arno!!!

I haven't tried it yet (just got back) but I wanted to shout out a big "THANKS!" for sharing the implementation. Now I need to find a copy of that paper and go through it with your implementation (and enhancements/corrections) next to it -- I'm sure it will be very educational.

Thanks again! :)

15816[/snapback]

The otl lib does not contain the sources, but if you are interested I send you the code...

Arno

The otl lib does not contain the sources, but if you are interested I send you the code...

15833[/snapback]

Ah.... I see... I was hoping to sit down with it sometime next week, but I guess I wouldn't have been much the wiser for it :lol:

I now see that it's a shader (just unzipped it right now) and that it's been stripped of the vfl code... should have checked earlier, sorry...

Nevertheless, I'm still thankful that you decided to share, even in that form, so my initial effusive reaction still stands :)

But yes; I would certainly appreciate it if you could share the code -- though I totally understand if that's not a possibility (I don't want to push for something you hadn't intended to do).

Alternatively, if you're uncomfortable with giving away the code, you could just just hang around here at od[force] and help out someone else who might be attempting an implementation of this thing (such as myself in the hopefully not too distant future ;) ).

Cheers!

Hi Arno,

Your hair shader is looking great. I recently posted a message on the General forum about modelling and shading hair but didn't get any response :( I'm wondering if you would be able to post the HIP file you used for the hairball above, as I'm in need of a starting point for using the shader?

Incidentally, I'm currently doing my undergraduate dissertation in 3D modelling from nature, and I'll make sure you get full credit if I use your shader.