Is houdini based on Linux?

SteveNi

Hi

A few months ago I started learning Linux at school (CLI commands and some networking stuff) and I just realized that a lot of things in Houdini seems to be "Linux-based".

Like the textport (wich I haven't found any usage yet): its exactly like linux command line interface, and you can type commands like cd, ls, pwd, etc...wich are actually linux commands...

Also in houdini we have the concept of starting from root and going througt the various context...

Whats going on? Is houdini really based on Linux?

If you could explain this fact I would really appreciate it.

Hi,

It could be that some concepts/commands are influenced by Linux, but Houdini is definitely OS independent because you can run Houdini on Windows/Linux/Mac. In general, all applications are made of many layers, the core of the application would usually be pure C/C++ that is OS independent, then would you add more layers to make the application work on different platform, OR you can use a library that can deal with different platforms/OS. For example, you could use Qt library which handles GUI interactivity on many platforms, OR you could write your own GUI code for Windows, Mac, and Linux. 

Edited by catchyid

I have NO IDEA how accurate this is, but I have heard that SideFX develops software with large studios that typically use Linux in mind, as their needs exceed those of other users with fewer technical demands. So if their needs are met, we all benefit. If any of this is true, it would make sense for them to develop tools familiar to Linux users.

In reality, it may just be that Linux provides a wheel not needing reinventing.

Edited by shawn_kearney

Some of the concepts used in Houdini like the paths in a scene (/obj/cam1, /shop/brick_wall, /out/mantra1) and the commands are influenced by Unix but are not based on Unix in the literal source code sense. I say Unix because Linux didn't exist when Prisms was written. Prisms predates Linux by at least a few years if not more.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SteveNi said:

Woundering why.....should I call SideFx for this? :D

It's a logical and intuitive design that everyone who used computers at the time understood. These days people tend to know very little about the computers they're using so the reasons why an application would be designed one way or another are less apparent but nevertheless the reasons are just as valid as they were almost 30 years ago. 

and the commands are influenced by Unix but are not based on Unix in the literal source code sense.

So why I found the same commands and the same syntax?

For example using the ls -l command you will get the context and operators in the scene, their permissions (i mean the rwx stuff) and the date of creation etc....

here is an application that allows you to run a complete Linux environment on Windows :

https://www.cygwin.com/

that does not mean this application, i.e. cygwin, is a linux based application because it runs only on windows. I have not looked at the code of cygwin/Houdini, but definitely Linux is open source, so it might have been possible that some functions were taken from Linux operating system, but both apps are OS independent and they have added way more code that makes the percentage of Linux stuff inside very marginal (e.g 95% of code is neutral c/c++, 5% were taken from linux open source libraries). BTW, I don't know if any part of Houdini code was actually taken from any Linux open source code, but due to the similarities you mentioned, it might have been possible, but again that does not make Houdini Linux based...

since up until very recently 3d applications could really only be found on Unix/Irix systems, the conventions for their use would naturally be similar to the conventions found in those operating systems

if you list a directory with "ls" and in Houdini you have a context that has a bunch of nodes in it, say /obj, why not have a similar command - opls, that users will be familiar with...etc etc