daily.hip

eetu

On 1/20/2017 at 2:42 AM, acey195 said:

cool idea!

About your work.. if it is the same type of stuff as what you would normally do with Houdini, you could code inside Houdini of course :P

VEX, Python, OpenCl, take your pick!

It's mainly HLSL and C++ for our game engine renderer - the code edit window in Houdini is nice but not really a viable alternative to Visual Studio ;)  (Happily I do get to do fx/ta tooling in Houdini as well.)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, eetu said:

It's mainly HLSL and C++ for our game engine renderer - the code edit window in Houdini is nice but not really a viable alternative to Visual Studio ;)  (Happily I do get to do fx/ta tooling in Houdini as well.)

I'm actually totally baffled by that - getting the code editor in Houdini up to snuff would be the single most useful addition to the whole application, would spare beginners and old hands hours of frustration and make their work 10 times faster. Looking up the syntax of commands in the help file? Really?

Thanks for your blog and the many other posts here eetu! Very inspiring and often eye-opening.

Cheers,

Tom

Looks pretty good :), thanks for sharing! For me the code editor isn't so bad H15 onwards, for snippets at least.
My main problem with it is the way "multiline" strings are visualized in the editor, with the double scroll bar, making the mouse scroll wheel not always do what you want at certain times.
And a bit how the screen-estate is divided up, making it harder to keep track of medium-large amounts of code without losing track of where you are in the code.

Cool to see more game's people also :), Did your team integrate Houdini-Engine into the pipeline? (If you can say of course :P)