Ocean In Houdini

Well you can google the web for "renderman water" which should give

you some results for writing a water shader. You can adapt renderman

code to vex very easlily

This site looks like a fairly straight forward way of approching the problem:

http://www.ramyhanna.com/renderman/water/water.html

for something a little morerobust, there's a water plugin available from martian labs:

http://martian-labs.com/products.php?product=hydrous

All the best

Luca

Yes - this is awesome, thanks Drew!

..and please feel free to take advantage of the odforce sourceforge project for Houdini plugins if you wish.

18676[/snapback]

Hi guys. Seems like the HOT has at least one user in the near future :-) I should have it in a better shape by the end of next week with some example usages, particularly of the vex functions which won't be of much use until I get some basic documentation together. I'm very open to suggestions for improvements. One shortfall at the moment is that I haven't finished implementing the jacobian and minimal eigenvalue computations which are a bit more involved, so I haven't got a pushbutton solution for foam generation, its on the todo list.

Jason: re sourceforge I'm already using subversion here as a repository so I might just stick with that for the time being. Once you get used to subversion CVS is a bit hard to go back to. The code currently requires the use of quite a few c++ libraries (fftw, blitz, openexr and loki) to compile so it will be interesting to see how many others will go the distance to compile their own versions. I should have the source available with a few more days cleanup.

I'll be interested in hearing any experiences that people have with the package. The SOP is fairly straightforward to use, especially if you read the Tessendorf tutorial which I link on the odwiki page. Basically pipe a grid sop set to XZ plane and with into it with enough polys to see detail. The SOP assumes the input is in meters, so start with something like 100x100 m with 50 rows and 50 columns.

-Drew

Hi Bernard,

See the odwiki for updated instructions. I'd forgotten to include a dll. I'll have to see if I can get it statically linked to save this extra hassle of installing dll's. I'm not sure how you will go with 7.0.192 but I just verified that it now works with 7.0.231 Apprentice.

-Drew

Hello Drew,

Is it possible that it doesn't work with Houdini 7.0.192, cause I get an error message?

Many thanks,

Bernard

18691[/snapback]

Hi all,

I've released a newer version v0.02 (still alpha) of the HOT. See the wiki for more details, documentation etc. I'm still plugging away at the source code, so I'm going to hang onto it a bit longer.

Link to wiki page.

I'm interested in any reports, comments etc

Have a good weekend,

Drew

Hello Drew

I'm testing the HOT with Houdini 7.0.192 and it works perfect!

The only thing I don't understand is to install the VEX functions( "add a line entry SOP_Ocean.dll....,etc") What do you mean by add a line?

I see you can also have choppy waves. Great! Maybe in the future it will also be possible to have foam and breaking waves.

Many thanks for this wonderfull tool,

Bernard

Hey Bernard,

Quoting from the latest instructions, which I'll try and make clearer -

"to install the vex functions add a line entry "SOP_Ocean.dll" (minus the quotes) to the file $HOME/houdini7.0/vex/VEXdso file, you may need to create the "vex" directory if it doesn't already exist in which case you can just copy the VEXdso file from the distribution."

So, just do the last bit, copy the file VEXdso from the distribution to the directory $HOME/houdini7.0/vex.

Regarding foam, I have a fair bit of the code (minimal eigenvalues etc) for generating it in place already, but its a bit more involved, it could still be a while before its in a useable state. Maybe when I release the source some of the math and coding gurus will pitch in :)

-Drew

Hello Drew

I'm testing the HOT with Houdini 7.0.192 and it works perfect!

The only thing I don't understand is to install the VEX functions( "add a line entry SOP_Ocean.dll....,etc") What do you mean by add a line?

I see you can also have choppy waves. Great! Maybe in the future it will also be possible to have foam and breaking waves.

Many thanks for this wonderfull tool,

Bernard

18876[/snapback]

Hey Bernard,

Quoting from the latest instructions, which I'll try and make clearer  -

"to install the vex functions add a line entry "SOP_Ocean.dll" (minus the quotes) to the file $HOME/houdini7.0/vex/VEXdso file, you may need to create the "vex" directory if it doesn't already exist in which case you can just copy the VEXdso file from the distribution."

So, just do the last bit, copy the file VEXdso from the distribution to the directory $HOME/houdini7.0/vex.

Regarding foam, I have a fair bit of the code (minimal eigenvalues etc) for generating it in place already, but its a bit more involved, it could still be a while before its in a useable state. Maybe when I release the source some of the math and coding gurus will pitch in  :)

-Drew

18891[/snapback]

OK Drew, many thanks.