NPR rendering with Houdini

schwungsau

i am starting to experiment some Non Photorealistic Rendering. First i am starting off with non animation Versions.

simple point replicate rendered disc's:

Houdini viewport:
Screen-Shot-2017-01-28-at-9.15.45-PM.png

constant shader in mantra:

point_replic_1.jpg

working out some edge strokes and rendered with toon shader:

point_repli_v002.jpg

scene Files:

point_repli_v001.hiplc

point_repli_v002.hiplc

• Like 1

Hey Guys, great topic :-)

I just tried to get sub-frame-displacement-animation to work in Mantra and seem unable to achieve it - anybody got it to work like we could in messiah:studio or Lightwave, where the displacement amount or a fractal noise position is animated within the span of a single frame, then cycled and the result rendered with motion blur? Or does Mantra simply not support this?

Cheers,

Tom

30 minutes ago, Thomas Helzle said:

Hey Guys, great topic :-)

I just tried to get sub-frame-displacement-animation to work in Mantra and seem unable to achieve it - anybody got it to work like we could in messiah:studio or Lightwave, where the displacement amount or a fractal noise position is animated within the span of a single frame, then cycled and the result rendered with motion blur? Or does Mantra simply not support this?

Cheers,

Tom

it works the some way. To drive your displacemen,t you can not use "$F"  (fullframes) for driving your displacement offset. you need to use  regular keyframes, $FF or  $T*24. In mantra you need to set the geo-samples up to 10 or something. it works with  pointvop or displacement textures. i will post example scene later on....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, schwungsau said:

it works the some way. To drive your displacemen,t you can not use "$F"  (fullframes) for driving your displacement offset. you need to use  regular keyframes, $FF or  $T*24. In mantra you need to set the geo-samples up to 10 or something. it works with  pointvop or displacement textures. i will post example scene later on....

Ok, I had regular cycled keyframes but geo-samples only at 5 with the displacement texture in a principled shader where I animated the noise-offset...

Good to know it's possible!

Thanks and Cheers,

Tom

13 minutes ago, Thomas Helzle said:

Ok, so it seems the examples actually do not use rendertime displacement but sop-based displacement. I guess Mantra does calculate displacement only once then?

Cheers and thanks!

Tom

check out the last hip file in Painting with polygons thread.... it uses a nice shader setup....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Thomas Helzle said:

Yeah, the shader is nice, but it doesn't do any displacement, that is done and animated in the vopsop...

But I don't want to derail your thread with this.

As you were ;-)

Cheers,

Tom

its just a thread not a gallery ;)

just checked mantra, vray, octane or arnold does not support motionblur with displacement maps.... it apperars to be a lightwave only feature...

Edited by schwungsau
  • Like 2

Yeah, Mantra is absurdly slow with this. Single-Frame-Cycled-Keyframe-Animation didn't work for me either, what did was using an expression like "($FF % 1.0) * 0.0025" (where the last number would be the scale of the effect) for instance in the displacement amount of a VopSop CurlNoise setup. I think I'll stick to Lightwave with that kind of stuff ;-)

I think Heriberts original directions above make more sense in Houdini... Would it make sense to port the old Tomcat NPR ideas from Maya to Houdini? Basically drawing strands along silhouettes and features and do some random displacement on them to get strokes? With the fast spline rendering I use now that may be even viable speedwise.

The old "invert a second mesh copy, displace along normal and render singlesided" that was discussed in the other thread didn't work for me in Mantra and/or the viewport either.

But it does work in unbiased Thea Render to my surprise:

Thea_Inklines.png

Cheers,

Tom

Edited by Thomas Helzle