Rigibody Sim: Rings on a curtain rod

konstantin magnus

Hello,

Using concave is not always the best solution. It is not really well handle by bullet in houdini. I would recommend 2 ways: Fracture each ring so all small pieces glue together will be convexe. The other solution is well explained here sphere packing for collision object. Good luck!

Hi, I'm a complete noob so in no way to teach anyone anything...but I'm just looking at your scene trying to learn something. If I change the Geo Representation from Concave to other options...a Sphere would be the most obvious....you'd see ONE gigantic sphere, this tells me it's not being seen as 6 rings (or 6 objects whatever the proxy collision shape is)...so the ring cloning needs to be looked at...

got it to this stage...got no experience with scale in Houdini....I had to make the rings a bit larger so I'm not simming with tiny scales...

curtain_02.hipnc

Edited by Noobini
EDIT: what I don't get is in the Merge, if I change the order..ie, merge the Rings in first before the Bar (static), the rings will fall right thru....but with the Bar first then the Rings, then it works...could an expert explain please ?

ok, I've gone back to the orig author's tiny scale and forced it to work....slow as hell tho...but of course, that should be put down to my inexperience. I've changed the method for importing the rings into the DOP, using rbdpointobject, a ring is placed at each point of the line. Then I changed the solver to RBD instead of bullet, it's the only way I could make it work with such tiny scale with no explosion/falling thru...

Now contact points are pretty good, tho can't find where the friction is to make em slide a bit more...In the solver Substeps, had to play around with Min/Max substeps and CFL condition...

Any pro advice are appreciated, and no I didn't mean to hijack this from the orig author in anyway...

curtain_03.hipnc

• Like 1