prevent houdini going back to frame 1 when stopping flipbook

Hey

I'm wondering if there's a way of preventing houdini to go back to frame 1 when I interrupt a flipbook, I quite often launch flipbook to check sims and then stop to look at the sim from different perspective. I know I can write the cache but if there's a setting to avoid that it would be great I think...

cheers ;)

• 2 months later...

Hey,

I have the same problem, I don't want to cache my sim (pyro in my case), because I do a lot of interaction and it's faster without writing the data on the disk and not enough memory to save a lot of frame (around 500f)

So every time I stop the sim and the flipbook I lose all the data in cache, it's very annoying, I can't check any value of velocity,density, temp,... neither see the pyro in 3D

Help ... thanks

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

There isn't a solution that I know of. You can try writing out .sim files, if you want to be able to cancel and resume a cache, or you can just skip the playblast part, and just click on that frame to sim to that point, then when you get to that frame, you will have a certain number of frames in a temporary cache that you can scrub through, without losing that data, until you go to a point before that cache begins - that cache will be the blue section on the timeline.

It would be nice if these toggles were available under MPlay preferences. I can't tell you how many times I have flipbooked something which generates a completely valid cache only to have the cache disappear when I close MPlay to reset my view.

The clearing of the cache might be related to jumping back to frame #1.