Rigged Animation + FEM simulation mix ? ( Also Tugging Animation)

Hello  I'm new here just trying to figure out how Erik Ferguson is doing these FEM solvers with these little tugs on his meshes like so/ Been trying to figure out for about a week and also trying to incorporate some rigged elements into same pipeline. Anyone have a clue? Everytime Import the Geo or trail  into the solid node nothing happens or houdini crashes Thanks again. 

Yea i've watched this a billion times and when he sets up the proxy animations he doesn't really explain the whole process that comprehensively. How do you get the geo to loop back into the FEM animation? Is there a way to animate my OG geo positioning and still utilize that as a cue for the import into the solid node? It seems like it should be so much easier and less steps than the program is having me do, I feel like it's super simple and I'm jumping through hoops. 

Hi there,

Here's some older scene of mine while i was on the subject. It's pretty simple once you get your head around it, but can be confusing at start.

Here's scene with pigHead rigged, as input animation. I used twist deform instead bone rigging to avoid skin painting.

After that, deformed mesh is used as input in FEM solved mesh as 'Import_Target_geometry' mesh. Take a look in autoDopNet/geo1/Geometry tab.

Also i had to make custom paint, and feed color to stiffness attribute, to make some parts of mesh more stiffer than other. You will see ears, and nose flap more than rest of mesh.

So you have it. Rigged mesh, as input, and FEM solved geometry after that, with collisions and dynamics.

Also, i am not sure is this best way to do it, it was just some fast test, and my way. It's made in H15.5. I am sure some things are changed now in 16. So you better open in 15.5 version. Once you understand how it works, you can easily translate it to 16.

Hope it helps, cheers!

C

paintStiffness.rar

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 3/29/2017 at 2:28 PM, chovasie said:

Hi there,

Here's some older scene of mine while i was on the subject. It's pretty simple once you get your head around it, but can be confusing at start.

Here's scene with pigHead rigged, as input animation. I used twist deform instead bone rigging to avoid skin painting.

After that, deformed mesh is used as input in FEM solved mesh as 'Import_Target_geometry' mesh. Take a look in autoDopNet/geo1/Geometry tab.

Also i had to make custom paint, and feed color to stiffness attribute, to make some parts of mesh more stiffer than other. You will see ears, and nose flap more than rest of mesh.

So you have it. Rigged mesh, as input, and FEM solved geometry after that, with collisions and dynamics.

Also, i am not sure is this best way to do it, it was just some fast test, and my way. It's made in H15.5. I am sure some things are changed now in 16. So you better open in 15.5 version. Once you understand how it works, you can easily translate it to 16.

Hope it helps, cheers!

C

paintStiffness.rar

Thanks for posting this. It is a very helpful example for beginners like myself. I'm wondering if there is a way to use cached geometry as the source for a setup like this?

I like the motion of an rbd sim but would love to add some squishy/springy motion to the fractured parts. So that it doesn't look like concrete. I have tried running the sim through an fem sim very similar to this but I can't get it to work on the deforming mesh. 

I wonder if you have any ides for me.

Thanks agian