Voronoi Fracture Issues

3dome

Hi guys,

so I got this house model which I'm going to destroy. When it comes to voronoi fracturing (create inside surfaces turned on) I get strange chunks coming out of the walls.
I don't really know where it comes from (I guess it's the triangulation inside voronoi fracture) and I don't know how to fix it.
I tried converting the mesh into VDB and fracture that but even there are some chunks sticking out.

I attached the file.

Cheers

housefracture_to_odforce.hip

Here is an approach I often take when fracturing. I will use a divide in Bricker mode to add some grid like faces to the entire object. I use an isooffset to convert the shape into a volume. I increase resolution so the volume closely represents the shape. This allows the scatter points to exist inside the volume and not just on the surface of the faces. I use a low count scatter into the volume and follow that up with a point replicate whose count I set to 10, down from the default of 100. Then I lower the scale on the point replicate. This gives you small clusters of points scattered around. I feed that into the voronoi fracture and it produces less uniform final pieces.

NOTE: I did not see any "strange chunks" in your original file. Do these appear during simulation?

Untitled-1.jpg

Edited by Atom
  • Like 1

thanks Atom that's quite a nice way. 
unfortunately I still get odd chunks. I wonder why you did not see them in my file.
even with your method I get them...

to_of.PNG

to_of2.PNG

Edited by 3dome

in voronoifracture4, untick Create Inside Surface

(and voronoifracture2 ?....Dunno...it's cooking cooking cooking.....dunno what it's doing...)

...finally.....I think voronoifracture2 needs it ON

Edited by Noobini

10 hours ago, Noobini said:

in voronoifracture4, untick Create Inside Surface

(and voronoifracture2 ?....Dunno...it's cooking cooking cooking.....dunno what it's doing...)

...finally.....I think voronoifracture2 needs it ON

i actually need inside surfaces. and the fracture 2 was just a test with VDBs.

anyway i fixed it. had to add quite a lot of polysplits on the inside of the walls so they have proper 4 sided polygons.