Fluid Crit Fixed

bgazdi20

The motion seems pretty nice but pretty hard to really see it - and I think its because your water is not rendered with any refraction. If you refract the ground through the water it'd make the motion easier to read I think.

Or perhaps render it with a clay shader or something so we can see the motion.

Not sure if you're looking for comments, but the motion of the opening lid seems a little forced.

Cheers

Marc

i agree with jason and mark's comments.. it could use some refraction in there. and motion of the cooler is a bit odd.. i would look up some reference videos of something similar.. or heck go get a camera out of the cage and film yourself dropping a cooler over and over.. i bet there will be a little bit of bounce to it (on both the body and lid)..

another thing i will mention is the water spread over the surface... i'm assuming it's an animated mask of a darker version of the ground pic being revealed.. the problem is it's all too smooth for the type of surface.. that thing's got cracks and divvets about, so there will be some noise around the edges with the spreading.. try mucking up your alpha a little bit on that mask and see if it helps..

the nice thing about the clip though is everything feels like it has a sense of weight which is a good..

well damn.. prove me wrong.. :)

i think in cases like these it's either good to show the real video side by side with the simulation or just cheat it and take the power you have as an animator to exaggerate and make things more insteresting..

however i will say that if you look closely, you will notice a little more bounce in the video (two to be exact).. and also after the lid falls open, right at the instant it hits the ground, there's a slight jerk in the whole thing. while in your animation it just pulls it forward and comes to rest.. overall though, very close, so good job.. i just think if it were me, i'd try to make it more interesting.. but that's just me.. :)

as far as the masked dark version..i think that in the video it's smooth because the ground seems to be already wet and the cracks are already filled up (from previous attempts i'm assuming..), but i could be wrong.. i just know that if you look at your animation, there are slight highlights from the water moving along the ground in a nice jagged water-y way, yet there's no coloration on the ground that matches to it.. have you tried using the alpha of water itself to be the source of the darker version of the ground? or am i completely off on this and this is all just a single render with no compositing done whatsoever..?

Good stuff bgazdi20.

The particle motion is amazing.

I'm agree with deedue, the wet mask in the ground could be improved.I get the impression that the wet effect is not well sincronized with the particle motion.

But particles are amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Brian,

Nice work. I saw this piece in the VSFX show yesterday. Did you do any studies of water or fluid motion or did it just flow out of you like it did out of the cooler. If you did studies then you should post them along with the video. This is impressive student work. I'm sure you will address the little things mentioned in the other posts in future projects. Congrats and keep working with water using Houdini. As far as I know, only a few people have tackled it at scad! My only crit on this right now is that the peak sop is a double edged sword and can might have caused some of the popping as the water spreads.

Great job!

A