Problems Creating Lightbulb Form

Dear users:

I'm trying to create a lightbulb-like form but I'm having trouble with the last part of the join operation. I have 2 cut spheres and the filleted surface between them. Now, I want to join all three surfaces to make one surface but I'm getting flipping geometry and I can't seem to solve this.

Can anyone help?

-penciline

P.S. I have attached a Houdini 8 Beta hipnc.zip file

lightbulb_fillet.zip

Dear users:

I'm trying to create a lightbulb-like form but I'm having trouble with the last part of the join operation.  I have 2 cut spheres and the filleted surface between them.  Now, I want to join all three surfaces to make one surface but I'm getting flipping geometry and I can't seem to solve this.

Can anyone help?

-penciline

P.S.  I have attached a Houdini 8 Beta hipnc.zip file

20570[/snapback]

Alternatively, you might look at this command file (start houdini, open a textport and type "source bulb.cmd", or whatever you saved it as)

post-211-1124229737_thumb.jpg

bulb.cmd.gz

Hi penciline, please take a look at this file. :)

20581[/snapback]

Thanks for that. I d/l'ed your file and looked at it. I tried to replicate what was going on but got snagged where you had your edit SOP. I applied a Transform and got a filpped geometry. I'm not sure what the heck I'm doing wrong but maybe there's a principle that I'm missing. Why did you have to scale everything to -1 in the edit SOP?

stuck,

-penciline

Hey penciline,

what I did in the Edit SOP was I basically mirrored that half instead of rotating it 180 degrees, which will give you different results as you can see. To be honest I don't think the NURBS tools in Houdini are very intuitive or robust, so I avoid them mostly.

To be honest I don't think the NURBS tools in Houdini are very intuitive or robust, so I avoid them mostly.

20592[/snapback]

I'd have to disagree a little. The tools may not be as intuitive as one would wish, but they are powerful once you get a hang of them. You have a better control over them than I do, but I see the potential of the tools already. I've worked a little over the fillet and bridge tools and find myself improving. But I already find the Carve SOP/Refine SOP and CurveClay SOP extraordinary tools. They make the job of editing geometry much easier than other softwares that I've dealt with (but I've only dealt with one other I should add).

-penciline

I like the NURBS tools in Houdini, but they do need a lot of precision stuff fixed - especially when it comes to projections and trims. Multiple trims and especially trims which overlap or cross patch boundaries are a bit of a pain. Perhaps some day they'll revise them and I won't be afraid of them for larger models.

We use NURBs for utility purposes - good parameterization is hard to find these days - but seldom for direct rendering unless they're simple models that dont have fillets, trims and whatnot.

Thanks - I cleaned it up a bit before I posted it. I got rid of things like trace SOPs ( I grabbed a picture from the net and used it's sillouette as a guide) and about a hundred circle and line SOPs that I used as drawing guides for the curve SOPs that you see there; basically anything that wasn't actually contributing to the final model.

Sheesh...here you go, your majesty. :)

lightbulb_hip.zip

20683[/snapback]

:unsure: I must admit i've been impressed by the network ... i mean .. the concept is so simple... this makes me really love this program any days even more... many thanks for your post, I'd like to see how you guys who rocks with Houdini work on some "day by day" modeling stuffs... since I'm trying to learn the overall program but at the end... what I miss is the *real* procedural approach for *simple* stuffs like such a lightbulb...

THANKS again for sharing that. I've been studying it for over an hour (not that's hard but its been really interesting watching step by step and analyzing it deeply).. and its 4am here now :D

is there any *monthly challenge* on this forum?.. I j ust saw the "trees planet" which has been really nice to see the results.

it'd be really cool (and precious reference for newbie like me) to see how good people works and solve apparently easy tasks... i'd like to partecipate as well once i'll be able to.

cheers!

Thanks - I cleaned it up a bit before I posted it. I got rid of things like trace SOPs ( I grabbed a picture from the net and used it's sillouette as a guide) and about a hundred circle and line SOPs that I used as drawing guides for the curve SOPs that you see there; basically anything that wasn't actually contributing to the final model.

20685[/snapback]

So you cheated then? :D

oh P.S. ... very nicely done.