Hot - The Houdini Ocean Toolkit

eloop

Some of you may have noticed the HOT page on the odWiki. It's now matured to a point where I thought that some other people might like to play with it. Other people besides myself have managed to build it (thanks Jason) but there are sure to be problems. Jason just ran into a problem to do with the linux version rendering IFD's using mantra, I hope to have a fix soon. In the true open source spirit the more people bashing on it the quicker it gets fixed. Goto ...

HOT - the Houdini Ocean Toolkit

I'd love to hear of any experiences people have with it, pretty pictures etc. Maybe we can start a HOT gallery of calming seascapes on the odwiki.

-Drew

The mantra problem seems to be fixed for linux now, so I've gone ahead and made available binary distributions for linux RHEL4 H7 and H8. The installation now involves copying in separate dso's for the SOP and VEX.

-Drew

The mantra problem seems to be fixed for linux now, so I've gone ahead and made available binary distributions for linux RHEL4 H7 and H8. The installation now involves copying in separate dso's for the SOP and VEX.

-Drew

20766[/snapback]

Thanks so muxh eloop for share your solution and the code.

At the moment i don't have linux installed in my machino, will be a windows version soon.

If you can't maybe i can help you to compile the code for windows.

Guest xionmark
Thanks so muxh eloop for share your solution and the code.

At the moment i don't have linux installed in my machino, will be a windows version soon.

If you can't maybe i can help you to compile the code for windows.

20774[/snapback]

Hi Pablo,

There is a WIN32 version, here's the URL:

http://anusf.anu.edu.au/~drw900/houdini/oc...alpha_v0.04.zip

Thanks Drew for the contribution!!! I believe we'll be using it soon on a job.

Perhaps this project should go up on sourceforge too?

--Mark

hey drew,

houdini will hit a fatal error and crash whenever any geometry is fed to the ocean sop (as well as opening your sample files).. this may be due to the fact that my build is older than the binary distribution but just wanted to let you know..

winxp sp2

H7.0.457

HOT_win32_alpha_v0.04

Hey Dave, I could be wrong, but I think even the build numbers mattered, unfortunately...  :unsure:

Alex

20788[/snapback]

Yeah, the build number is fairly important for operators like SOPs but mean far less with VEX dsos.

The "best" thing to do is to throw that VEX Sop together from the Wiki page and forget about the HDK SOP then.

Sounds like I might need to setup an automated system to churn out builds for a range of houdini versions. Shouldn't be that hard.

-Drew

Yeah, the build number is fairly important for operators like SOPs but mean far less with VEX dsos.

The "best" thing to do is to throw that VEX Sop together from the Wiki page and forget about the HDK SOP then.

20789[/snapback]

Sounds like I might need to setup an automated system to churn out builds for a range of houdini versions. Shouldn't be that hard.

-Drew

20795[/snapback]

Quite honestly Drew, I'd only really bother with the VEX dsos. This means that you only have to build for 7 and 8 for Linux and Windows and the minor revision doesn't really matter. The SOP is really only partially useful since all it is is faster. We should build .otls with HOT VOPs in them and distribute that too, perhaps?

Hi Pablo,

There is a WIN32 version, here's the URL:

http://anusf.anu.edu.au/~drw900/houdini/oc...alpha_v0.04.zip

Thanks Drew for the contribution!!!  I believe we'll be using it soon on a job.

Perhaps this project should go up on sourceforge too?

--Mark

20775[/snapback]

Thanks Mark.

I want to begin to play with the HDK, your introduction was very constructive, thanks.

I want to compile some projects like the HOT or the Cleave SOP to take a view about how the code works because there are very few information about the HDK.

Yea, not suprised about the build numbers.. And I agree.. No sense in having you set up something to build for every version.. having a 7 and 8 build for both linux and windows is plenty generous..

i also like the otl idea as well..

I went ahead and hacked out some python to automatically churn out lots of distributions so its not that hard to do new distributions if they are needed. See the wiki for a H8 windows compile.

-Drew

Yea, not suprised about the build numbers.. And I agree.. No sense in having you set up something to build for every version.. having a 7 and 8 build for both linux and windows is plenty generous..

i also like the otl idea as well..

20809[/snapback]

Nice image Mike. Out of interest did you use the SOP or the VEX ?

lisux: foam will get easier to produce when I get the minimal eigenvalue code working via vex. Hopefully in the next few weeks if I get the time to work on it.

-Drew

very nice tool, congratulations !

I'v played a little bit. here is the "bad weather" scene:

20834[/snapback]