What's up with the different editions of a GPU?

beveraii

I'm looking into graphics cards and i'm finding it hard to nail down exactly what to go for in terms of balancing budget with performance.  Obviously getting the 1080ti would be better than the 1070 but there is, of course, the massive difference in price.  Just within the 1070 model, limited to EVGA there are still multiple versions to decide between.  Is there much wrong with going for the cheapest one?

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=369&m=14&sort=price

thanks everyone.

Memory is by far the most important factor, the more memory the more stuff that can be rendered, and operated on in the GPU.  Clock speed is somewhat irrelevant as the cost of moving data to the GPU far outweighs any advantages of minor speed improvements. 

To put it into perspective 6 GB of GPU memory is quite minimal to do anything 'thrilling' with in terms of GPU accelerated simulation and rendering.

most likely be 'standard' fan...at 'normal' price

or

one with watercooler...look at the pic it's got AIO (All In One) Water pump/fan attachment hanging off to the side -----> costs more

Don't forget fanboi editions too....like Founders.......pfffffffffffffffffffffffft....what a joke.....marketing BS...

Watercooling is better at cooling with less noise...(than air cooling, that sounds like a jet engine) that's what you're paying for.

Thanks.

I'm juggling each component against each other trying not to spend an absolute fortune but also don't want to defeat the purpose of a new system by cutting back too far.  Right now, I think i'm going to stick with the 1070.

What are you wanting to use the GPU for? I've a 980 and 1080ti and the difference is night/day for GPU rendering and amount of Vram for Nuke comp and H sim stuff. 1070 is good though but I would go the 1070ti and then the Volta when it comes out.

Well what are actually basing your purchase decision on? everything is vague at the moment.

Cuda cores in general are a direct metric for computations and the 1070ti has 20% more cores. Therefore your computations are 1/5 faster for $70, amortise that over two years and it's a lot of savings. For comparisons the i9-7980 is 20% faster than a ThreadRipper for NZD$1.5K and I'll spend that to gain some more creativity or hit a deadline depending on the job.

hmmm what do you want to speed up with the card? GPUs do not magically make everything faster. You seem to be buying a GPU without any purpose tbh.

Edited by tar

Flexibility.  I mean, I'm not going to building a system without a GPU and if i'm trying to put something together to not instantly hold me back, or be a bottleneck, I want to get the best thing I can reasonably afford.  Would you have any suggestions beyond the 1070/1070i?   If I weren't to go for them, what would be a better/alternative option?

I know it's all very vague so I'm sorry if i'm not giving you the answers you're looking for here :-/

Edited by beveraii

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M5BQRIO/ref=psdc_284822_t1_B013WAL3AU?th=1

In my opinion it's a relatively simple issue, I'd go with the 1050Ti if I'm not interested in GPU simulations, it's way more then enough for rendering rather large scenes.  Otherwise (if one did want the massive acceleration of GPU simulations) then the Titan Xp with 12 GB of memory is well worth it.