Faster RAM, is it worth it?

art3mis

My understanding is that outside of GPU rendering, many operations in Houdini are CPU limited and therefore would benefit with faster memory.

The question is how much and is it really noticeable?

ie if you are running memory rated at 2666 and can actually run at that speed, what performance improvement , if any, would you notice if you either OC'd (unlikely) to 3200 or purchased new memory rated at that faster speed?

Especially considering the increasing price of RAM lately, want to make sure investing in 128GB of faster DIMMS is worth it.

Edited by art3mis
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, art3mis said:

ie if you are running memory rated at 2666 and can actually run at that speed, what performance improvement , if any, would you notice if you either OC'd (unlikely) to 3200 or purchased new memory rated at that faster speed?

Faster ram helps threadripper by 50% sometimes:

https://sidefx.com/forum/topic/52583/?page=2#post-238591

Wow, thats crazy. If true it would seem that for certain types of simulations RAM speed is a limiting factor. Not familiar with -j8 -j16 syntax.

I assume these are command line variables passed in if launching from command line? Does this mean Houdini doesn't recognize extra CPU cores otherwise?

25 minutes ago, art3mis said:

I assume these are command line variables passed in if launching from command line? Does this mean Houdini doesn't recognize extra CPU cores otherwise?

Houdini defaults to using all cpus but you can limit it, with the -j flag, to test threading processes or leave processing cores available for other tasks. i.e. Mantra IPR defaults to all but 1 process so you can still use the machine whilst interactively rendering. You can see that under Mantra/Rendering/Render -> Use Max Processors menu