sine / cosine on circle?

caskal

Hey magicians,

Been fighting with an icecream for some days now, main issue is that I can't create the curve-countercurve / wavy part on top, first I tried manually with zbrush and get feedback that should be more prolix, like in the references

feedback.thumb.jpg.ca751a132459690599f30143e43e51c1.jpg

then I tried making some basic shapes and vdb stuff in houdini but I still cant achieve the look, maybe with some sin/cosine stuff on a circle? I'm getting crazy

icecream.jpg.46bad0cd6f3200820f3c92270ce74fef.jpg

Some references

ref.jpg.9c75d9a4cb6df4d5fedf48a2eeaa8854.jpg

@f1480187 please save my day wizard

Cheers

49 minutes ago, Noobini said:

I'm a bit confused by what it is really that you wanted...so just reading the title sin/cos on circle (and gif)...surely you don't mean this ?

sinecircle.hipnc

that gif was my first try to make something like matt posted :D awesome way to solve the issue with groups, thanks!

32 minutes ago, mestela said:

Or this sorta thing?

icecream.hip

icecream.gif.f27187b55f2a9b58c7b9df8327cf19d1.gif

that setup is a beauty matt, thanks a lot! im playing with it, everytime I saw these wrangles I try to get into vex, I got so frustrated by not writing a line correctly that I close houdini :D

I've been all day struggling with this cornetto, tried sub-d modeling, vdbs, zbrush,

fail.jpg.84c484a52d6283bf2ba8f35e6a049b7a.jpg

and the client is being so picky I want to quit the job, he just told me that a friend did the shape in 10 min within 3d max...

2018-01-02_20-34-29.png.cddf70e5dd3a76c7e82c1df00a76b0f1.png

Thanks guys, will keep working on this shit

Cheers

Edited by caskal
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Noobini said:

yeah true in Max..but I'd be 99% sure it ain't procedural in Max..so if the client is being a real diva...ie. change the hump count...it would be starting from scratch...

can't agree more

ok, here's my hillbilly approach, can't compare with the mestela wrangle of course, oh well...

Now the diva can have as many humps as she'd like...(just make sure the circle divs is even..but it's not a show stopper), takes 2 secs to dial in instead of starting from scratch like in Max...(that's not Max bashing either...I do shitloads of MCG in Max so I'm confident I could procedurally do this in Max too)

(little bonus that you can use the twist in polyextrude too !!!)

(added droop if you need it...for the rim)

icecreamtop1.jpg

vu_icecream_top.hipnc

Edited by Noobini
  • Like 1