Point Cloud Lattice

mossawi

Hi guys,

We have discussed something similar to this on this forum before, but I would greatly appreciate some help on achieving something almost exactly as this.

It's a lattice structure made up of a point cloud, it fills a volume, and the points of the surface of the volume connect rather than cutting off, any tips, idea, or help would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys!

34704_1_1280-0-0_.jpg

the-sneaker-lab-andy-chiu-adidas-4d-futurecraft-2.jpg

the-sneaker-lab-andy-chiu-adidas-4d-futurecraft-23423.jpg

Thats very cool, for the volume yes exactly!!

For the outside of the surface, would be cool if it can become like a ring/curve instead of just connecting vertically/horizontally.

Is that doable?

Also could I control the distribution of the scattered points and offset every other row to become more of a diamond shape vs square shape?

Thanks!

Edited by mossawi

I think it might be more controllable using poly-lines and creatively grouped points to connect everything as opposed to just metaballs like the method I'm doing.

I'm trying a couple other things to see what I can come up with, but I'm certain a Houdini genius can swoop in here with a solution readily available :)

We really need a bat-signal type light with a giant H for these guys :P 

Just now, coltonmil said:

I think it might be more controllable using poly-lines and creatively grouped points to connect everything as opposed to just metaballs like the method I'm doing.

I'm trying a couple other things to see what I can come up with, but I'm certain a Houdini genius can swoop in here with a solution readily available :)

haha agreed, thanks man, excited to see what you can land on, would be amazing to do this in Houdini!

17 hours ago, coltonmil said:

Any luck :D ?

Sorry man, I haven't had a lot of time to try out some of the ideas I had, but here's the basis of what I'm thinking:

Use this method to create polylines:

Do a nearpoints like shown, but then don't connect points that are at the same "level" as each other (or distance from center), so you end up more with these 45 degree connections going inwards like in your ref. Then convert to geo and blend using VDB to get the nice smooth connections like the ref. 

I'll try and flesh something out more, but this is a great tut to go through regardless :)

5 hours ago, coltonmil said:

Got a closer shape using the ideas I posted above! With some overall warping, and playing with the VDB meshing, you might be able to massage this into something like the ref.

Screenshot at 2018-02-09 16-22-49.png

vexGeoTest_v01.hipnc

Wow, PERFECT! super cool thanks for showing how you do it, super helpful!

1 last followup question, I cant seem to open the file and get this error, any idea? Im using Houdini 15.5 does that matter? Thanks!

Screen Shot 2018-02-10 at 12.34.07 AM.png

Edited by mossawi

well I didn't bother posting the file coz it didn't qualify as filling a volume (I did it this way coz I'm guessing the core is more 'solid' than entirely lattice, so why waste resources doing the core all the way thru).

There's no coding by me, the coding for Path Deform is entirely done by joleanes from here:

https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/53241/

I guess you can use point deform or even manual soft edit to shape the thickness of the sole.

EDIT: or just use the Scale Ramp from Path Deform, easy.

vu_XMesh.hipnc

Edited by Noobini
  • Like 2

On 2/11/2018 at 1:47 AM, Noobini said:

well I didn't bother posting the file coz it didn't qualify as filling a volume (I did it this way coz I'm guessing the core is more 'solid' than entirely lattice, so why waste resources doing the core all the way thru).

There's no coding by me, the coding for Path Deform is entirely done by joleanes from here:

https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/53241/

I guess you can use point deform or even manual soft edit to shape the thickness of the sole.

EDIT: or just use the Scale Ramp from Path Deform, easy.

vu_XMesh.hipnc

Thanks so much man, very helpful and much appreciated!!

On 2/9/2018 at 7:29 PM, coltonmil said:

Got a closer shape using the ideas I posted above! With some overall warping, and playing with the VDB meshing, you might be able to massage this into something like the ref.

Screenshot at 2018-02-09 16-22-49.png

vexGeoTest_v01.hipnc

Hey man, thanks again for this, looks amazing!

I tried loading it in the latest build of Houdini but still getting an error and the scene loads up without any smoothing or welded vertices, any idea what I can do to overcome that?

Thanks!

Houdini Loading Warnings.JPG

1 hour ago, mossawi said:

Hey man, thanks again for this, looks amazing!

I tried loading it in the latest build of Houdini but still getting an error and the scene loads up without any smoothing or welded vertices, any idea what I can do to overcome that?

Thanks!

Houdini Loading Warnings.JPG

Sorry about that, forgot I'm using a custom vdbfrompolygons, if you just swap in the standard one you should be good!

• Like 1