? Radeon Rx 580 8gb ?

The Stoffi

Hi ....

any thoughts/experiences on the Radeon Rx 580 8GB in use with Houdini ?

Since it's not in the official list .... it's not supported ....

but maybe someone using it / used it ?

couln't find anything in the forum via search and also duckduck isn't really informative concerning that topic ...

Thx, Christoph 

Thanx, that's great to here ... since I tried to set up Centos... did the preinstall and install of the driver package from radeon ... and somehow ...

just by adding a simple sphere skrewed the whole texture image of the sphere ... now set up in win it seems to work quiet well ....

also have a macbook pro 2012 with an intel iris :(  

there I got issues with the viewport now and then .. many times resulting in crashing the whole app ...

After doing some research I found a post about setting the houdini.env variable to HOUDINI_OGL_SOFTWARE = 1 

Trying houdini for a few days now with that setup and it causes lesser viewport issues I think ... 

Just in case this could help anyone out in a similar situation :)

Thx, again ... 

I have a MacMini from that same time period and SideFx does not support those Intel graphics based machines very well. Check the System Minimum Specs on the SideFx website. You need at least 2GB of vRAM for Houdini to work correctly. My MacMini has only 1.5Gb, perhaps your Macbook Pro has similar specs.

What crashes out Houdini on the Mac with Intel graphics is the materials calculations that get delivered to the viewport. What I have done is to launch Houdini then turn off all viewport bells and whistles. Like the new 3D grid, Materials, Shadows etc.. Then save that as the viewport default. So I can basically run Houdini on my MacMini with the viewport set to wireframe mode. If you try to add an asset to the scene that has materials, it may crash. Assets like MocapBiped, Terrain and any other texture based tools.

That HOUDINI_OGL_SOFTWARE = 1 is for the old Houdini 12.5 I don't think it does anything anymore.

Edited by Atom

• 3 weeks later...