Circles between two curves

how about this:

-resample the curves to have equal amount of points.

- measure the distance between the points with the same point number, this will give you the diameter for each circle.

- you can now place a point using the radius and instance a circle onto this point.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jesper Rahlff said:

how about this:

-resample the curves to have equal amount of points.

- measure the distance between the points with the same point number, this will give you the diameter for each circle.

- you can now place a point using the radius and instance a circle onto this point.

If I understand correctly, in your case the circles will intersect. I need that the circles do not intersect, but only touch each other. I see the solution of this problem to construct a circle by three tangents to curves. But what algorithm I should not know.

Great, I am stuck almost at the very beginning!
Cant get per point distance(parallel processing?), got the value from the last iteration in the loop for each point.

Also, I took a closer look at source image and notice that circles are ideally fit between lines but they are deformed (and become not quite circles).
I guess first the straight parallel lines with circles between were created and deformed after. Much more elegant way than trying to fit shapes between other shapes. 

circlesBetweenLines_002.hipnc

LinesCircle_01.PNG

Edited by kiryha

No, circles do not deform. This is such an angle, because the curves of double curvature are located in 3D, and not in the plane. Here is the solution of this problem in Grasshopper. Maybe it will help to realize this in Houdini.

http://www.grasshopper3d.com/forum/topics/cycle-operations-in-gh5aa2b774ad073_01.thumb.jpg.2656066c5b798f0b11f8b850a8b1c11d.jpg

Edited by Andrew Kant

Ah, I see! That's a super cool setup, definitely, it could be done in Houdini (but I am not sure if I will be able to do this). 
Anyway, my question still open as well :)

Super cool setup as well, John! Just saw it after publishing the message.

Edited by kiryha

• 2 weeks later...