poly reduce tool has changed

pkkk

Hey has anyone noticed how much the new interface for the polyreduce node has changed, below is pic 1: the new polyreduce interface, then pic2: is the old eone, then pic3: is what im trying to acheive but the new polyreduce node just reduces the poly but not the look of the overall objuect? can someone help please?

5ab9f8f7a8ecc_newpolyreduce.thumb.jpg.111b6cbb999fbaa4290f4e1cef66210a.jpg5ab9f8eea8f88_newpolyreduceold.jpg.aca6cd3635be59a84494d89d061eaed8.jpg5ab9f8fed8e05_polyreduce.thumb.jpg.0bf402a309dd2923195f8d7c9a19158e.jpg

Reducing the polys without changing the geo (and uvs) is the best part of the new polyreduce! You can use fuse like drughi suggested, or remesh, or in that case maybe randomly dissolving some edges

Edited by jamesr

• 1 year later...

ACHTUNG! Exhuming an old thread since the tutorial at Entagma is still relevant ::

I'm doing the same tutorial as Patrick (linked below) and also having the same issue with the polyreduce sop. I tried Noobini's suggestion, but even when using the same parameters as his/hers, the face reduction amount in my file is far more aggressive than the pictured example shows. I also tried unhiding the old sop in the textport editor, but it's not there to be unhidden.

In all honesty this isn't that critical to the exercise (since any shape is usable) so I'm going to try and learn the fuse sop as suggested. However, out of curiosity would like to know how to use the new polyreduce in the same manner Yader does it with the old sop.

3 hours ago, ChazS said:

However, out of curiosity would like to know how to use the new polyreduce in the same manner Yader does it with the old sop.

set Equalize Lengths and Stiffen Boundaries to 0

then it may help if you randomize prims before (Sort SOP) and pre-triangulate your geo (divide SOP) as old sop did it internally

That works. What's so aggravating is I adjusted those two params several times yesterday but obviously not in tandem—doh!—so I never saw any significant diff when changing the keep%. 

Ďakujem! (I hope that's correct)