char2_wip

TheUsualAlex

Hey everyone,

I've been working on this modeling project on and off for a bit now. I've got quite a lot of other school works to deal with as well... This is probably about 25-30hrs of work I've put in so far. I am still far from finish, of course. But do let me know what you think of the topology and the form in general. Any other criticisms are welcome as well. I'll probably start sculpting the general form of the body sometimes this weekend if I have time. The body will take much longer time than the head due to my inexperience, unfortunately... Basically, the goal that I have this time is to not focus on the head all at once, but let the modeling process spread out a bit more. I am still determining how her fashion will look. I am trying to gear toward a bit more like Final Fantasy X and XI design style if I can pull it off.

The plan is to get his character completely modelled and rigged by the end of the year. BUt we'll see how that goes.

Anyhow, hope I haven't disappointed you guys yet. :unsure: Let's hope that I can get this one done very well so that I can post it at cgtalk or something. :unsure:

If you have tips or advices or anything, pleeeaase let me know.

Thanks, everyone.

Alex

post-19-1035383836.gif

Thanks, guys.

sighed... I am getting more side-tracked than ever with other area of Houdini and class works... Wondered how I can manage my time more efficiently. Too many things to study...

Even though I am not heading for character animation field, I still want to do some character animation in Houdini just for the fun (or the torture) of it. :rolleyes:

DaJuice, it's kind of funny that you're requesting the smoothed version. :) A lot of time, I'd (as well as all my personal friends) prefer to see the unsmoothed version. :) It's not ready yet unfortunately. The cheek is still killing me. Same as the last time. Bummer, eh?

Cheers,

ALex

• 2 weeks later...

hah! alex...you are too hard on yourself

depending on the flaws, it could add to your model...i think your topology is clean, and well thought out. IMO, the more detail modeled in, the better.. & since we are not usually dealing with extreme poly limitations we can get a little excessive (a little extra polysplittin' here, a little there etc..within reason).

perhaps, when you get the chance, add ears, clean up the anatomy a bit, then start modeling the body. from there, you will have more done and will probably feel a little better about the attempt, as well as having a better platform to add more *things*.

an observation: if you widen his head a bit, he would look like one of the aliens from "Alien Nation" ...anyone remember this movie/tv show? :)

the surmon is over, drive thru!

Mayhaps this will explain why it's greatly flawed? :(

Anyway, here is quote from my long-time inspirational artist Michael Whelan:

Somebody said it takes two to create a painting: the artist to paint it and somebody with a shotgun to kill the artist before he overworks it!

Definite apply to my case here. <_<

edit: Forgot to mention -- the topology is about to get messy pretty soon. ;)

edit #2: Told ya women are the most insanely difficult to model!!! (Anybody know how to describe "most insanely difficult" in a poetic way?? :lol: )

post-19-1036811858.jpg

beating the hell out of something is deffinately a problem ;) its probably a good idea to have a schedule, if you do not finish it on day so & so, just move onto the next model no matter how painful it is; reward yourself with some cold beers when you finish ontime. i should probably listen to my own advice...but the beer is good regardless :P

looks great, but something that is throwing me off is the neck area.. model in some of the bust, at least to the clavical and C7 on the back of her neck, and a little shoulder wouldnt hurt either ;)

i remember getting ribbed by my sculpting teachers for leaving this small, but important detail out (even if it was only a quick sketch). :D

• 2 months later...

Anyway, this model has been in the backburner for couple of months now ever since I've been informed about Big Fish. About 2 weeks ago I have a chance to spend about a day or 2 on on the neck and shoulder. Hopefully that I can get back to it soon...

Transitioning from the collar bone to the deltoid remains to be the BIGGEST NIGHTMARE!!!!! :wacko: AAAAIIIIEEEEKKK!!!! I just need to get that deltoid right to move on....

Oh yeah... no ear yet... As I am just eager to tackle the shoulder/deltoid....

Anyway, it's going to be a loooooooooooooooong time before I am going to get it done.

post-19-1044558176.jpg

Nice model.... wow..

You should show SESI that, I'm sure they'd be quite impressed :). Finally people are using their software to do creative stuff with.

I'm assuming thats the subdivided one right? Could you post the unsmoothed mesh?

Cheers

Marc