Just installed

Hahaha. I guess I"ve been talking to myself again. :P

Well, Linux is quite nice. It's pretty advanced for me at the moment. But hey, I actually liked Linux as an alternative. :)

The sad thing is, I still haven't even figure out how to adjust the system volume. :blink:

yeah, Linux is nice. I actually like it a lot to be honest. But unforutnately, i am going to need some time to get comfortable with it due to its complexity.

Currently, I can't seem to get Linux to work with my dual cpu even after specified to install "kernel-smp" during installation...

I ran into a lot of problem trying to install an rpm package... It tells me something like "libXmb.so is missing" (or something like that). That was really odd becaus I've just fresh installed RH7.3.

Another problem I ran into was that RH7.3 doesn't seem to recognize my Promise ATA RAID0 as a single drive... I've emailed my linux friend back at home. Hopefully he'll have time to take a look at my installation sometimes in early Sept. So i ugess in the meantime I only need to get myself more familiar with linux for now. :)

PS: I really like that you can "su" into a specific folder without a need to log in. Now THAT, is truely multi-user. :D

If you're in a professional large studio, there is a million reasons why you'd want to have a solid, predicatable scripting environment. About a million reasons why Systems people need it, about a thousand why TD's and technical artists want it and about 2 why artists wouldn't want it. The odds are just incredible.

The only 2 reasons I can think of why artists don't like it *too* much is because there is no Photoshop for linux (yet, but there is Gimp which does half of what Photoshop does) and because it looks harder to use, at first glance.

I can't say I know that the same is true for facilities working at video resolutions with 10 artists. But when you're rendering at anytime 500 to 1000 frames simultaneously, at film resolutions, with over 70 3d artists and compositors hammering the network and render scripts 24hrs a day, you need something better, more flexible and more robust than Windows.

IMHO.

Hello all,

The only thing that's stopping me to move to Linux is its lack of i/o supports. Some of the better video cards have not made the move yet even. However, I'm seeing more and more transitions gradually. I think it's just a matter of time. I don't want to start anything, but Macintosh caught on with basing OSX on Unix... Gosh, houdini on a mac, now that's a scary thought. If you guys are having problems with installation and so on, I don't remember where exactly i read it in the nightly postings, but there is step by step instructions on resolving those nagging issues at Sidefx. Look for the name John Coldrick. He is very knowlegeable about Linux.

Nevins

Hello all,

The only thing that's stopping me to move to Linux is its lack of i/o supports. Some of the better video cards have not made the move yet even. However, I'm seeing more and more transitions gradually. I think it's just a matter of time. I don't want to start anything, but Macintosh caught on with basing OSX on Unix... Gosh, houdini on a mac, now that's a scary thought. If you guys are having problems with installation and so on, I don't remember where exactly i read it in the nightly postings, but there is step by step instructions on resolving those nagging issues at Sidefx. Look for the name John Coldrick. He is very knowlegeable about Linux.

Nevins

If you guys are having problems with installation and so on, I don't remember where exactly i read it in the nightly postings, but there is step by step instructions on resolving those nagging issues at Sidefx.  Look for the name  John Coldrick. He is very knowlegeable about Linux.

Erm... I don't think you'll find Linux installation FAQs on the Sidefx website. If you're talking about problems installing or running Houdini, there aren't many since at least a year ago. :)

If I don't remember wrongly, the step by step guide was for problems with getting Houdini to run on Nvidia GeForce2 cards in Red Hat 6.2 + XFree86 3.x. In addition, it also covered how to install/replace certain libraries in Mandrake 7.x so that Houdini will run.

Currently, there are some library issues with other distros, example running Houdini in Mandrake will not be easy, though not impossible.

Other than the above, running Houdini on Linux is not too difficult. Naturally, make sure your graphics card runs Houdini in the first place. ;)

I don't want to start anything, but Macintosh caught on with basing OSX on Unix... Gosh, houdini on a mac, now that's a scary thought

Hmm... I am not sure if you're saying that Houdini on Mac is a good thing or not. Although I have nothing against mac, however, to think of the ultra die-hard, ultra pc-basher mac fan simply turns me off. So I am beginning to build a mantra of "While the PC/Mac fan duke their OSes out, I am moving to Linux quietly." :D