Fusion vs Nuke

art3mis

Like many others want to be comfortable using 3rd party apps for basic comp work, zdepth passes etc.

Yes Nuke is the standard and there is a free NC version but its incredibly crippled! Only useful for learning which I think is The Foundry's goal.

Considering purchasing Fusion Studio since I would need plugin support. For under $400 still seems like a great deal and I hate the idea of renting software (bought Modo just before Foundry went subscription based...arrrghh).

Has anyone used both Nuke and Fusion and can share the pros and cons of each?

How transferable is Fusion knowledge to Nuke?

Thanks

Edited by art3mis

10 hours ago, art3mis said:

Thanks. But what if you want to use Open FX plugins like Frishluft Lenscare?

Natron has support for OpenFX, and lot other 'open' things, let's say ffmpeg allows it to write apple ProRes using Windows OS. If I remember correctly, there were some issues exactly with Lenscare on OpenFX, but these are already recognized by developers. Generally one can not expect everything to work smoothly when such cross-platform thing is used, anywhere.

Natron is free, they are providing some example projects, interface is looking like copy of Nuke. Download link is here

15 hours ago, Jesper Rahlff said:

why even bother with a 3rd party application? I use cops all the time for my compositing work and it works great

because what applies to you doesn't necessarily apply to everyone else. If cops is enough for your work that's great, someone else might have different needs. (Rotoscoping, tracking, speed.. )

2 minutes ago, MENOZ said:

because what applies to you doesn't necessarily apply to everyone else. If cops is enough for your work that's great, someone else might have different needs. (Rotoscoping, tracking, speed.. )

You are right about that. However the original post stated:

On 2018-07-29 at 5:07 AM, art3mis said:

basic comp work, zdepth passes etc.

Hence why I pointed to cops.

I myself use Nuke for heavy and complex compositing. But 90% of the time, creating a basic comp in COPS is just as fast and efficient if not faster, than Nuke.

7 hours ago, Jesper Rahlff said:

I myself use Nuke for heavy and complex compositing. But 90% of the time, creating a basic comp in COPS is just as fast and efficient if not faster, than Nuke.

There is something to be said about doing post in a completely different app. For me it refocuses my attention on that part of the process, vs. tempting me to go in and continue to tweak the animation, lighting etc. 

Back to the OP, I use Fusion for several reasons, including the fact that for me as a filmmaker, the DaVinci Resolve integration is very compelling. Having said that, I would hold off and see what happens at Siggraph in a couple of weeks. I really don't know what Blackmagic's long term plans are for Fusion, and I'm hoping for more clarity depending on their actions at Siggraph.

Op. amm thanks for bringing natron to my attention. Haven't looked at it for a while.

Its a no brainer for me now. #1 reason investment of time to fully master any new software.

Although seriously considering Fusion (a huge fan of Davinci Resolve) learning Natron is essentially learning Nuke.

Like many others wonder how they can essentially make a Nuke clone?

Edited by art3mis

On 7/30/2018 at 5:04 PM, Midphase said:

Back to the OP, I use Fusion for several reasons, including the fact that for me as a filmmaker, the DaVinci Resolve integration is very compelling. Having said that, I would hold off and see what happens at Siggraph in a couple of weeks. I really don't know what Blackmagic's long term plans are for Fusion, and I'm hoping for more clarity depending on their actions at Siggraph.

From what I was able to gather from the Black Magic reps during NAB, Fusion standalone is going to continue living alongside the Resolve-integrated version.

Hopefully...

Yeah, I don't doubt that. The question is whether the standalone and the Resolve one will keep up version parity or not. Already the Resolve Fusion is able to do things that the standalone can't do, so I'm curious as to BMD's commitment to updating the standalone as well. 

An ideal solution for me would be to have a workflow where a user can open Fusion standalone, do what they need to do, and then import the Fusion file into Resolve as if it was any other clip, and integrate it into the timeline as needed, while still having full access to the nodes within Resolve. I think that would be an awesome way to work.