Vegetation using bullet

Andrea

Hi! Here is something I've been working for a few time on and off. I was searching for something that I could use for plants that are colliding near the camera. So I ended up using the bullet solver with packed geometry. I'm not sure if it's the right way to go for this kind of things but at least I learned a lot about the constraints. 

Thinking afterwards I probably should have used a few more substeps but I hope you can enjoy it anyway! Suggestions for improvements are welcome :)

• Like 9

I think this is the right way to go. We use bullet aswell on trees and foliage, great for interaction with other objects (since grain and wire is a bit to unstable). You can set rotational stiffness on the rbd objects to make it more bendy. Now it looks a bit dry.

Probably here I could have used wires for simulating the branches since they are essentially splines. But in the past I've done some trees simulation with them and I spent most of the time making little changes in the wires parameters for avoid them to get stuck in walls or each other. At the same time I have to say they were really good and easy to use in the scenes were the trees had not much movement. Anyway some people made some amazing plant simulations in Houdini with wires so maybe there are some nice tricks that can be used.

Thanks for the tip. If I have the time before moving (&co) I'd like to try change the rotational stiffness and see the difference

• 2 months later...