New PC only for Houdini

magneto

Hi,

I want to build a new PC after a really long time. I am gonna do a lot of research, but for now I have a few things roughly in my mind.

For CPU, I am thinking 16 core AMD Threadripper. Is 2950X the newer version of 1950X so I should be getting that?

For RAM, I want 128 GB.

For HDDs, I have a ton but for fast HDDs, I want the best possible price/performance setup. Should I get a couple of NVMe, or M2 or PCI-E SSD, or octane? I don't know which one is the best. I don't mind doing raid0 of any of these to improve performance. Probably 2 to 3 device max.

For graphics card, should I wait for RTX? I feel like they will cost too much. I would like a lot of memory for the card, but if my best bet is to get an older titan or 1080ti, then it's ok.

Thanks in advance :)

2950X is the 2nd revision of 1950X... almost the same but 2950X is slightly more power efficient & is a bit faster (you might get better overclocks with it, if you plant to OC) Clock for clock they are the same but stock 1950X turbos to 4ghz while 2950X goes 4.4ghz.

NVME SSD drives are almost all M.2 slot types running on the PCI-E bus. For Example this drive is quite fast & not too expensive (up to 3.2 gibabytes/second read performance, PCI-E 3.0 spec at x4) --> Samsung 500GB 960 EVO NVMe M.2 Internal SSD.

For graphics, I would also consider AMD's latest GPUs since their OpenCL performance is significantly better than Nvidia's for a given pricepoint. For Example: RX Vega 56 has a 32 bit float performance of 10.5 gigaflops. Vega 64 at 12.7 gflops.

Compared to 1080Ti's at around 11.3 gflops. Also AMD's cards are significantly faster in 64 bit and 16 bit compute. As for Nvidia's RTX, I'm not sure how Houdini would take advantage of Nvidia's RTX since Mantra is a CPU renderer.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2018 at 8:13 PM, lukeiamyourfather said:

What is your budget? Without knowing the full context it's hard to make recommendations that are meaningful.

Budget is around 3-4k ideally. But from what I can tell 128GB RAM would cost me a fortune? I don't want to use cloud services for simulations at least. Rendering I can wait long time, but sims I want to have quiet high res so 64GB is bare minimum for me, because that's what we have at work.

1600$ and up for 128GB DDR4 quad channel matched kits... assuming your mobo has 8 DIMM slots. Pretty much all ATX TR4 socket boards come with 8 slots. ( 8 x 16GB modules).

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007610 600563496 601190328&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&PageSize=36&order=BESTMATCH

And around half that for 64GB kit (4 x 16GB modules).

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007610 601190328 600336949&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&PageSize=36&order=BESTMATCH

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like Renderman will support raytracing acceleration with the Nvidia RTX cards! Probably other renderers might follow...

So for rendering I think it would be worth waiting for RTX... and AMD gpu's are outclassed in this department. Speeding up Pyro & other sims that run on OpenCL is the only situation that might make AMD gpus somewhat useful...

But I cannot recomment them just for that limited usefulness so please disregard my first reply.