Art directing fractures

caskal

Hey magicians, I'm wondering what will be the best way to art direct a fracturing for this shot?

2018-09-19_17-34-55.gif.f8225725da8e98dee05a29ed5eca2783.gif

I'm thinking about getting Applied Houdini IV wich seems perfect, but meanwhile here are some thoughts:

• Separate the bridge in 2 parts, one for the foot hits and keyframe manually, and other for the rest shattered with dynamics, might look fake tho
  • Using colliders/forces in certain zones to push the breaks towards the character
  • Manually shatter with curves for the desired parts, add rbd and pray to god to match playing with seed 

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I think I would just pre-fracture everything and set i@activate=0;. Inside the DOP net add a Solver and use if  statements to set i@activate=1; on specific point numbers at specific times when the character is directed to break something.

if((@Time >= @range_on) && (@Time<=@range_off))
{
    i@active=1;
    // Start piece falling.                                           
    v@v = {0, -1, 0};
}

Attached is a setup that demonstrates how to detect time ranges and activate/deactivate various RBD objects.

ap_packed_trigger(1).hiplc

Edited by Atom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Atom said:

I think I would just pre-fracture everything and set i@activate=0;. Inside the DOP net add a Solver and use if  statements to set i@activate=1; on specific point numbers at specific times when the character is directed to break something.

if((@Time >= @range_on) && (@Time<=@range_off))
{
    i@active=1;
    // Start piece falling.                                           
    v@v = {0, -1, 0};
}

Attached is a setup that demonstrates how to detect time ranges and activate/deactivate various RBD objects.

ap_packed_trigger(1).hiplc

You are right! I remember watching a video tut from varomix explaining this i@active to control fractures, checking the hip now, thanks again! @Atom

Heyo 

Not sure exactly what type of fracture  effect you had in mind for the final look- but if you were looking for something more explosive then I would defiantly check out the SideFX talk that Keith did during SIGGRAPH for some ideas:

Edited by agedsilver