Hi all

So I have a question about the new versions of the For-Each node, particularly the Numbers one, I have been following a tutorial from Anastasia Opera, and during the tutorial she uses a For-Each subnetwork node now I understand what this node is doing collecting the data from the box_id, Anastasia also gave the node a stamp name which will be used a bit later on for a blast node to specifically target some points following the local path hence why the stamp name was given to the For-Each Subnetwork node in order to lead a path towards a node that contains specific points with a number that is less than 3 which I understand is the point number and can also see it infant of me.... but now here is where I get confused in the new version of Houdini 17 the Subnetwork node has been disabled and be re-enabled but instead I would like to understand what on earth is up with the new For-Each Numbers node, it has some weird dodgy layout that just throughs me right off!! I would not mind trying to re-create the tutorial using this new node but its proving to be a challenge as I have no idea where to place the nodes that help in set things up for procedural modelling which I have tried to place things in myself but ended up with nothing but more errors. 

if someone could please help that would really awesome and I would really appreciate it. 

Kindly

Ahmet .B   

Edited by RustyMac2020
I wanted be a bit more clear so I edited it down to a more readable version

I guess you are talking about the lake house tutorial. There are two things to consider when you setting up the foreach number node to get the same result: first you have to set the method in the foreach_begin node to fetch feedback - to get the last result as input. Second: Instead of the stamp expression you have to use detail expression to access the iteration attribute in ur metadata node: detail("../foreach_count", "iteration", 0) -> this way you get the "id" of every iteration

Hope this helps

Edited by Spike
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Spike 

Thank you for getting back to me so quick and sorry for the late reply, I seem to still be having problems do I still need the VEX code on the wrangle node if you have seen the tutorial she writes a huge pile of code would this have been useful in helping run things smoother with the old For-Each Subnetwork node? or does the attribute wrangle VEX code still work with this new method of nodes in Houdini 17 ?

Kindest Regards

Ahmet .B 

Everything in the old foreach subnets can be done with the new ones, in slightly different ways (which will make more sense/are more flexible in the long run, than the old one)

if you want an introduction to the new foreach logic, you can always watch Jeff's tutorial:

• Thanks 1

On 20/11/2018 at 1:13 AM, RustyMac2020 said:

Hi Spike 

Thank you for getting back to me so quick and sorry for the late reply, I seem to still be having problems do I still need the VEX code on the wrangle node if you have seen the tutorial she writes a huge pile of code would this have been useful in helping run things smoother with the old For-Each Subnetwork node? or does the attribute wrangle VEX code still work with this new method of nodes in Houdini 17 ?

Kindest Regards

Ahmet .B 

if you want to stick to her workflow you can stick to her implementation - also of the vex code - just use detail() instead of stamping and the new setup in the foreach nodes - the major part stays the same

• Thanks 1

• 10 months later...
On 22/11/2018 at 12:40 PM, Spike said:

if you want to stick to her workflow you can stick to her implementation - also of the vex code - just use detail() instead of stamping and the new setup in the foreach nodes - the major part stays the same

Hi Spike, thank you for all your support so far, it has been some time since i last posted and want to thank you once again, I had to take a long break from trying to replicate the lakehouse tutorial due to some obstacles & university being in the way, however I have been contemplating and have started the tutorial back up again as seeing as I payed for it I might as well finish it.

However, I am still having a hard time trying to fit and integrate some of the old workflow methods Anastacia uses in Houdini 16 into the more standardized version of houdini 17, mostly the For-Each Loop the more I watch the tutorial and try to think about recreating it in Houdini 17 the more daunting it gets, I have followed your example you posted and I understand it with simple geometry, additionally when I have to change it for the more complex looking stuff it is then that it confuses me the most, I will try not to give up and will go forwards with this, moreover, I hope to hear from you again this year 2019 :D

Kind Regards

Ahmet.B