Slow down bullet bjects

kiryha

POP drag seems to 'just work' for me.

While with drag, I found it only works as expected if you set operation to Set Always rather than the default Set Initial...I'm by no means an expert tho.

(even more confused that Gravity by default is Set Initial...yet it works all the time as expected...)

Edited by Noobini

I sometimes make my own poor-mans drag with a popwrangle. Something simple like

@v *= 0.99;

or you can also modulate it with a ramp 

float normalizedVel = fit(length(@v), your vel min, your vel max, 0, 1);

@v *= chramp("DragCurve", normalizedVel);

Basically what you want for water is to drastically slow down fast velocities while keeping slow ones (e.g. for sinking behaviour).

18 minutes ago, kiryha said:

Well, I have an extremely simple scene and I am still not able to setup drug force, Set Always does not help as well. If I create a drag force my cubes explodes...

you want to be really careful with the settings on the drag force when using it with RBD. I don't remember if pop drag is more stable but as @FlorianEggers mentioned, a wrangle with a multiplier on the v always works and is what I do as soon as drag forces make my RBD explode.

Edited by 3dome

first of all you should have a name attrib on those guys. put down assemble and tick on pack geometry.

apart from that (even without it) your scene works as expected. sure, some boxes start to fly because they get hit by another growing box

49 minutes ago, 3dome said:

you want to be really careful with the settings on the drag force when using it with RBD. I don't remember if pop drag is more stable but as @FlorianEggers mentioned, a wrangle with a multiplier on the v always works and is what I do as soon as drag forces make my RBD explode.

Would you mind clarifying what would the main difference between "set initial" & "set always" do in terms of forces over time. My understanding is that it might only affect it on the first frame of the sim and the other does it every frame? I may be hella wrong here. 

4 minutes ago, char said:

Would you mind clarifying what would the main difference between "set initial" & "set always" do in terms of forces over time. My understanding is that it might only affect it on the first frame of the sim and the other does it every frame? I may be hella wrong here. 

AFAIK, Set always and Set initial refers to changes of the values. E.g. "Set Initial" sets the value once, while "Set always" allows the value to change over time. Both modes are active constantly. 

Same goes if you import data. "Set initial" imports it once, "Set Always" imports it every frame. (E.g. getting constraint network geo from SOPs)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 3dome said:

first of all you should have a name attrib on those guys. put down assemble and tick on pack geometry.

But the objects already packed in Copy SOP. Do I need to pack them again or turn of packing in Copy SOP and pack with a separate node. And the main question why do I need the name attrib ot them?

22 minutes ago, 3dome said:

some boxes start to fly because they get hit by another growing box

Right! So this was my original question, how to slow down them dramatically so they would lose energy very fast.

8 minutes ago, kiryha said:

Right! So this was my original question, how to slow down them dramatically so they would lose energy very fast.

You need to reduce torque aswell.

I increased the drag and added drag to torque, check the file.

v@v *= 0.88; // Increased drag from .99 to .88
@w *= 0.88; // Added drag to torque

slowBullet_001_TorqueDrag.hipnc

Edited by FlorianEggers
added code
  • Like 1