Is moving to Australia reasonable?

kairos01

Hello Everyone,

I'm seeking information and advices about working in Australia (RSP, Iloura, Animal Logic and other great vfx houses). I'm 27 and currently working as junior compositor in Italy since 3 months but I want to emigrate (I'm putting money aside for this).
I have to opportunity to obtain a Working-Holiday visa that permits to work 6 months per employer in a one-year window (you could gain another year if you work in farms for 88 days in that year).

Could be a good idea to get that visa, travel to Australia and drop by these vfx houses to work there?

I don't think you can just travel to the country and start looking for job in vfx studios. visas, especially in australia, are pretty lenghty and paperwork intensive process and generally your employer have to offer you a job first and then, if you come to an agreement, they'll assign you to an immigration agent that will guide you through the visa obtaining process. i'm pretty sure that working holidays visa don't apply for work in vfx. if you're thinking about emigration, like permanently, you would have to be offered a permanent job position, which is unlikely if you're not a skilled professional. getting people into australia is pretty expensive for companies so they're quite picky about who to bring in. juniors typically don't pay off to bring in from very far away. but hey, trying won't cost you anything so contact a few companies and see what (if) they respond.

my advice would be to build a solid basis at home first (or anywhere in europe), have a great showreel, work for couple of high-end studios and your chances for Australia will be much higher.

good luck.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You need to have at least 2 years of experience in the field you are being hired in, to be granted a full working visa (high skilled professional). 

If you go to Australia with the Working-Holiday Visa, you can open your self-trader account (ABN, australian business number) and freelance.

The market in Sydney is not as dynamic as in London for example, and being at the beginning of your career won't help.

So, if you decide to come you will have to accept the fact that your work might not be continuos, and have to do odd jobs in between VFX gigs.

Note that Iloura Sydney ( rebranded to Method Sydney ) closed down in September 2018. Iloura Melbourne is now Method Melbourne.

Mill Film has just opened in Adelaide and planning to expand.

a list of the main vfx houses in Oceania here:

http://vfxvoice.com/vfx-down-under-the-now-and-the-new-in-australia-and-new-zealand/

• Like 1