H17.5 Launch Event March 7

LukeLetellier

So is this actually true, or someone's weird idea of an early April Fool's joke?

Reading the invite, I would say that this:

"Procedural Dependency Graph – designed for the scaling, automation, and analysis of CG/FX pipelines."

Sounds a lot like the rumored TOPs:

"Task nodes (TOPs) let you build a high-level network that describes “things to do”, or _tasks_, and _dependencies_ between the things to do. From this network, Houdini can generate a _task graph_ of all the tasks and their dependencies. Then a _scheduler_ can schedule them up run in parallel locally in a process queue, or on a server farm."

Edited by Midphase

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, WildayHeart said:

Hi - is there more info for the "new" Renderman for Houdini? 

Depending on what you already know... It will be, for the first time, a real plugin, will have a very responsive IPR and all the bell and whistles it has on other platforms (except for the integrated viewport in Maya AFAIK) which will ease its use inside Houdini. I read on support forums 22.4 could be released next week including support for Maya 2019 and maybe the first closed beta (commercial users ony?) of the plugin for Houdini.

But what I'm really looking forward to is knowing more about all the Solaris project stuff teased on the 17 launch event...

Edited by asmartkid

5 hours ago, asmartkid said:

Depending on what you already know... It will be, for the first time, a real plugin, will have a very responsive IPR and all the bell and whistles it has on other platforms (except for the integrated viewport in Maya AFAIK) which will ease its use inside Houdini. I read on support forums 22.4 could be released next week including support for Maya 2019 and maybe the first closed beta (commercial users ony?) of the plugin for Houdini.

But what I'm really looking forward to is knowing more about all the Solaris project stuff teased on the 17 launch event...

Well i knew nothing, so thanks for this is information! :)

Speaking of Renderman/Pixar they were also mentioning USD/Hydra somewhere in the comments of the Houdini 17 teaser. 

If we get another teaser before the event, we might see it any day now. 

"LOPS (Project Solaris) Major new architecture, busy developing in R&D. Architecture that goes straight to the heart of lighting and rendering. And in one big swoop, takes Houdini's proceduralism, combines it with GPU accelerated workflows across the board. Dedicated artist workflows, and it weaves all that into a live and native USD core. But that is a story for another day."

Sounds cool, I hope they'll add some more info at this new presentation, even if it doesn't sound like it'll be ready for quite some time.

GPU rendering is here to stay for sure.