Houdini 17.5.173 Centos PDG cores use

Hello everyone,

I am trying to speed up surfacing tasks using this simple method from Entagma (https://vimeo.com/323270525). I am on Centos 7 and when I monitor CPU usage, it goes maximum at 35% and doesn't use all cores. Is anyone experiencing similar behavior or have any info to share about Houdini and CPU usage at Linux?.

Thank you.

Linux doesn't have anything to do with it. Some algorithms used by Houdini use a single processor core. In those cases performance can be improved by running multiple tasks concurrently. You would see 100% processor utilization only if there were more concurrent tasks than processor cores. Other algorithms will use all processor cores available. It all depends on the specific scene and how it's built as to how well it will scale to multiple processor cores.

Yeap Luke I understand. If you check the Entagma link, they are using TOPs to run multiple frames of VDB meshing and turn a single core process to a multi-core one. They are on Windows and CPU load goes 100% on a 12core system.