L-Systems- are they actually used for anything?

Going thru a tutorial on L-Systems and OMG, just seems like an overly complicated system for creating results that aren't necessarily that organic looking.

Does anyone actually use L-systems in the real world?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, art3mis said:

Does anyone actually use L-systems in the real world?

I havent really tried them yet myself. But from the tutorials I have seen they seem neither much natural nor particularly art-directable to me.

So depending on what you are trying to achieve its probably more convincing to come up with a tailored system of your own. But I am curious to see what others will present!

L-systems were not originally designed with modern day asset creation in mind. It was designed in the late 60s when computers were a bit different. You can read below. However L-system's framework especially for late 90s and early 2000s was a great way to create complex rules and copying. The theory today is a bit more useful than the actual system. You can still use it to create building systems pretty well and cool FXs.

Honestly just use the Gear Menu and pick from the drop down menu of all the presets. Using the lightning and the branch preset is a really quick way to get a basic growth structure in a few steps, that'll save you a dozen nodes. It's what I believe most people use it for nowadays.

An L-system or Lindenmayer system is a parallel rewriting system and a type of formal grammar. An L-system consists of an alphabet of symbols that can be used to make strings, a collection of production rules that expand each symbol into some larger string of symbols, an initial "axiom" string from which to begin construction, and a mechanism for translating the generated strings into geometric structures. L-systems were introduced and developed in 1968 by Aristid Lindenmayer, a Hungarian theoretical biologist and botanist at the University of Utrecht. Lindenmayer used L-systems to describe the behaviour of plant cells and to model the growth processes of plant development. L-systems have also been used to model the morphology of a variety of organisms[1] and can be used to generate self-similar fractals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L-system

• Like 1