Smoke keeps expanding

AlbusNolente

Hi there,

I'm working on a RBD destruction, but after the collision the smoke continues to expand. It should be a dusty smoke because there are not fire explosions.. I tried many ways, but it keeps expanding in the scene. I basically keyframed the emission of the smoke from the debris and it gives a nice shape to the smoke.

What would you suggest? 

Attached you can find my scene.

Thanks in advance!

Tower_19_03_maybe_05.hipnc

You'll want to simplify your scene to get help. There's tons of broken links to caches I won't run.

Reproduce your problem with a sphere/cube/torus super simple DOP setup, then upload that.

Though, hopefully you'll figure out what the problem is by reducing the variables.

• Like 1

There are a lot of little problems in your scene (excessive twiddling of parameters to non-default values). Your best bet is to throw away the smoke and debris setups and recreate them with the shelf tools. Once I did this, the basic smoke and debris effect started working as expected. Your smoke isn't fading because you have changed the control field from temperature to velocity. Because you use excessive velocity, on the breaking sphere, the velocity seems to be carrying through into the velocity field, which is too strong to reduce the dissipation.
tower.gif.976f1c846473c365c106358830cf0f1d.gif

This display also highlights that there are some problems with the internal boards, which kick out a bunch of high velocity particles half way through the simulation. You might want to just delete any of the debris particles that are generated inside the box of the main tower, providing only the external particles to the smoke sim.

ap_Tower_19_03_maybe_05.zip

Edited by Atom
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Atom said:

There are a lot of little problems in your scene (excessive twiddling of parameters to non-default values). Your best bet is to throw away the smoke and debris setups and recreate them with the shelf tools. Once I did this, the basic smoke and debris effect started working as expected. Your smoke isn't fading because you have changed the control field from temperature to velocity. Because you use excessive velocity, on the breaking sphere, the velocity seems to be carrying through into the velocity field, which is too strong to reduce the dissipation.
tower.gif.976f1c846473c365c106358830cf0f1d.gif

This display also highlights that there are some problems with the internal boards, which kick out a bunch of high velocity particles half way through the simulation. You might want to just delete any of the debris particles that are generated inside the box of the main tower, providing only the external particles to the smoke sim.

ap_Tower_19_03_maybe_05.zip

Thanks Atom, unfortunately I started using Houdini 3 weeks ago, so this is my first project. Anyway I'll work more on it, I've already fixed some stuff. Thanks again!