Siggraph 2006

hahah that was funny ....Lightwave Shmightwave. hahahah... well i see the evil thoughts on other software here in forums... I sense the darkside looming... I hope this year's houdini booth is good. I know it;s not LA and all but i hope it;s going to be a good one this year....

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, guys, lots of about most important things out there (beer, Houdini, party etc) but who is going to offer him self for prepering some extensive report from Houdini meetings (offical & less official) and publish it here or anyplace else. You are a good friend, or not!? :whistling:

Declare your self! :euro:

cheers!

SY.

ok, guys, lots of about most important things out there (beer, Houdini, party etc) but who is going to offer him self for prepering some extensive report from Houdini meetings (offical & less official) and publish it here or anyplace else. You are a good friend, or not!? :whistling:

Declare your self! :euro:

cheers!

SY.

Well to be honest there probably won't be all that much to report on, there will be some demos and some presentations on how Houdini was used in various movies, that stuff will all probably be covered on the SESI site in the next few weeks... If there's any big news to report, you'll probably hear about it online before anyone even gets back from SIGGRAPH...

That said, I'll happily report on who got drunk, who made an ass of themselves, which company had the booth-babes, stuff like that...

That said, I'll happily report on who got drunk, who made an ass of themselves, which company had the booth-babes, stuff like that...

I'll be sure to make a thread just for that...and other pictures as well :lol:

OK, so to recap:

Od.force meet-up :

Monday July 31, 8:30 or 9:00-ish?

Sweetwater Cafe

3 Boylston Place, at "The Alley"

http://www.sweetwatercafeboston.com/

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...024011&om=1

Who'll be there:

me

MCronin

Overload

Slade

aracid

cylibral?

...anyone else? Well, we'll see you there... not sure how we'll spot each other, hopefully one of us will wear a Houdini shirt or something.

-JS-

Who'll be there:

...anyone else? Well, we'll see you there... not sure how we'll spot each other, hopefully one of us will wear a Houdini shirt or something.

I've got the electronic theatre that night, but I'll probably drop by after that as it's a pretty small detour from the route to my hotel.

Cheers!

Hey everyone,

I'm feeling sorry for myself that I can't attend siggraph and have a drink with you all. Hope you guys have a blast this year!

Take care,

Jason

Yeah but you guys have Martini Fridays over there, what do we have! SPI has Weenie Wednesdays. :mellow:

Who'll be there:

me

MCronin

Overload

Slade

aracid

cylibral?

I read alot on these forums and am a very new Houdini user but have used other packages. I'll be a siggie this year and I'll try and stop by. I've met some of the peeps in the irc chan.

Hey Everyone...Siggraph was awesome, and Boston was a great city IMO. Next year its back out to Cali in San Diego. My damn camera broke when I got there, so I was only able to take a few pics, so if anyone else has some lets see it :). The SideFX party was a blast also, kind of a small bar, but still lots of fun, as were the small conference/semiar speaches at the booth.

Micron, man I kept looking for ya. We just kept missing each other. All the Liaka dudes were pretty cool when I stopped by. Oh well, hope everyone that went had fun, I'm really looking forward to next years. CHEERS! :)

Hey all--

SIGGRAPH was fun...nice to be back in my hometown for a few days, but holy damn was it hot! It didn't even cool off at night either, just stayed hot and muggy 24-7. Nothing terribly revolutionary on the exhibit floor, but maybe I'm just jaded. I didn't get a conference pass either so I missed that whole spiel, maybe I oughta do it right next year. SESI's booth was nice, caught a really cool demo showing a fully muscled character from Calin Casian, it looked great. Electronic Theater was pretty cool too, some really nice and inspiring pieces in there. The Chapters party was good, the SESI Pub Night was pretty cool but way way crowded, we showed up promptly at 8:00 and got upstairs with no waiting, and then 15 minutes later the place was filled to capacity.

The od.force get-together was a success, sort of... at first it was just me, MCronin and agentex, but then about 12 people from SESI showed up and suddenly we had a real group going. Overload, very sorry we missed you, I heard you were trying to make your way to us the whole night. Sorry we never caught up with Slade and aracid either, maybe next time guys?

And now for a few pics:

post-40-1154823528_thumb.jpg

Boston

post-40-1154823545_thumb.jpg

MCronin + Peter from Laika

post-40-1154823558_thumb.jpg

The Od.force get-together

post-40-1154823574_thumb.jpg

MCronin + Xean have saggy diapers that leak

post-40-1154823587_thumb.jpg

A very drunk guy from Konami Japan + exel

post-40-1154823602_thumb.jpg

???? + agentex + exel + MCronin downstairs at the SESI Pub Night

post-40-1154823628_thumb.jpg

exel + Calin

post-40-1154823643_thumb.jpg

Calin flyin' the flag at the XSI party

-JS-

I'm sure I must have passed right by you guys a ton of times. I was at the SESI party for quite some time, but it was so busy I never made it upstairs until later on. I did however stop Xean (I think his name was Sean) beacause he had the Liaka shirt on. He said I had just missed you guys.

The night of the Odfoce get togeher I was having drinks with the owners of Creative Heads, which was really cool...(really cool guys). Thanks for the pics Exel, I recognize a few of the faces, but didn't know who they were in Boston :lol: And yea...boston was hot as hell!! :). See you guys next year for sure. Cheers

Anthony

Sorry we couldn't get our act together, Anthony, maybe next year.

It was a somewhat uneventful Siggraph. Hopefully San Diego is better. SESI's party was a bit more laid back this year, though we left sometime around 11 since we couldn't get back upstairs. I saw a couple of neato things... Dreamworks cartoon motion blur sketch (simple concept, but extremely clever), the 1933 New York sketch from Weta (an astounding level of effort and complexity), Bluesky's splash tools (pretty much everyone who saw it said "I'll take two please"), and the upcoming scope viewer in Nvidia's Sorbetto interactive lighting tool were all interesting, but unless I missed something there were no earthmoving new pieces of technology or announcements from anyone. I'm sure 64bit Maya is a big deal to many people, but it wasn't unexpected. There was an awful lot of water at Siggraph.... I saw at least 10 sketches and presentations having to do with fluids and splashes.

On the plus side the Electronic Theater and Animation Theaters were fairly impressive this year. I think I watched all the programs, and despite the Electronic Theater being a bit long for my taste it wasn't the agonizing experience it was the last few times I've seen it. The stuff in the Animation Theater was by and large impressive. Some of it deffinitely should have been in the Electronic Theater, rather than oh I don't know... a certain animated feature that seemed to be there for political reasons and "My Date From Hell". I'm sorry to single it out like that but I think it really was the lowpoint of the program and it was such a large chunk of time. If they had cut it, and a couple of other things like the Warhammer cinematic, and substituted something shorter and better from the animation theater, it would have been perfect. As it is now by the time you get to the "Best of Show" short the audience is pretty worn out.

All in all it was an impressive collection of work, though. I was and still am seriously considering plunking down a couple hundred dollars to get all the DVDs. They had a 4K digital projector this year and after the Electronic Theater they ran Andy Lomas' "Growth by Aggregation: Teapot Variation" in both full HD and 4K res. It was a site to behold, I'm glad I wore my glasses to soak it all in. http://www.andylomas.com/ to see some of the aggregation videos. This stuff looked really wicked at 4K.

Oh, and the Collada reception... I didn't go to it, just happened to pass by, and I was floored by how many people were there. Looked like over 100. I'm really hoping they get a lot of support because I really like what they are trying to accomplish.

BTW, I kept running into Aracid all over the place and we finally sat down and had a nice long chat on Thursday morning.