Smooth outline of 2D pointcloud

I feel like I am missing something basic here -- I have a 2D pointcloud of a foot and I need a smooth 2D outline of it.  Shrinkwrap SOP and friends turn it into a convex shape which is no bueno and Triangulate 2D SOP also creates edges that ruins the 2D pointcloud silhouette.   

I thought maybe the Fit SOP would do it for me but I don't know how to give it just the silhouette points of the pointcloud.

I also have some ideas about using volumes and booleans to achieve this but I swear I've seen this done with simple point and triangle SOPs before.  Any ideas?  Screenie and HIP attached.

nr_foot_outline.png

nr_foot_outline.hip

Edited by xxyxxy
updated hip

I'm sure there are more elegant methods, but as long as your shape isn't to concave, create a bunch of edges from your points with connect adjacent pieces sop and then create a circle bigger than your shape with inward normals. After that use the Ray sop to conform it to your shape.

Next thing I'd test is the point order to see if I can delete all but the edge points. Once you have that, just use an add sop to create a polyline.

Looks like the trickiness is coming from the fact that it's not a flat, nice 2d pointcloud. Looks more like a 3d pointcloud that's been crushed to 2d, which gives you those weird curvy bits on the edges. Maybe try a fuse sop to get rid of those weird bunches and then a triangulate 2d.

Edited by dgani
dumbness