Redshift proxy material with user data integer

Hi,

I'd like to get some help from you, because I ran out of ideas.

It's about Redshift proxy and instances. I'd like to make forest with different colors with the "RSUserDataInteger" in the Redshift Material in shop network. I tried with the simple box example, and it worked. However, when I use the material override in different ways for the proxy trees and it uses only one color, so I cannot randomize colors. I attached the hip file and proxy tree for you to examine.

Thank you in advance!

switchShaderTest_02_v003.hiplc

tree_01_v01.rs

I would agree that is a 100% Redshift bug. You might want to report it.

The only other thing to try, is to override both materials on the tree. I don't know what the trunk material name is, so I can't test that theory. It might be that on a multiple material object, if you override one, you have to override them all. Try dropping down a material in /shop that matches the name of the trunk.

Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it.

However, I solved the problem, stupid me, because I forgot to check the "Override User Data" at the bottom of the Geometry node in the Redshift OBJ tab. I think everything is fine. Anyway, the trunk's material name is RS_barkMat, sorry to forget to mention it.

At least, anyone have got the same problem can easily find the solution in this topic.

Thank you again! :)

(I was just about to "send", when I saw you'd replied.  I'll hit send in case it helps anyone in the future.)

If you set an Override User Data on the proxy node, you're example will work.  You need to enable this on the Redshift_Proxy node, or else it will only read data from the proxy itself, and not local overrides.  The same is tryue for visibility, matte, and the other options in the screen shot.

Overall, RS Proxies are turning out to be very well implemented, and a big time saver when bouncing between packages!

Cheers,

Howitzer

override.jpg

• Thanks 1

Uhg, that is the problem with redshift. There is always another override you have to do. I mean why do we need a special override for "UserData" when we are already extracting the attribute, automatically?

• Haha 1

It's probably to try and keep the instance calculations light, which makes sense, especially if you're talking about a large number of instanced objects (forest of trees, a horde army, etc).  Any overrides would need to change the baked values in the proxy object, as apposed to reading them directly from the rs proxy file, which could get expensive in some scenes.

• Thanks 1