Large Scale Smoke Simulation Looks Really Bad Pyro

pizola

Hello!

So I have been Having lots of problems to setup the pyro sim on a large scale. Somehow I cant manage to understand the propper settings. 

I would love a result similar to this: 

The size of the my sim is 1:10th of the real size because as I make the sim bigger the problems also get bigger.

I guess it has something to do with the source density and the smoke object

Take a look on how awful it looks down below (I am quite new to this soft)

I am leaving the whole proyect full of notes so you have an easy time helping me :)

Thanks a lot and I am looking forward to learning.

cya

Captura2.thumb.PNG.1600dc269e5d2958771e50d25c155aea.PNG

NaveVolando.rar

Captura1.thumb.PNG.8c5e5601d1adf64494c49ef6639aa6b6.PNGCaptura4.thumb.PNG.30b9391d4390cae79444c28ff35e977e.PNGCaptura3.thumb.PNG.0afeac8babf4a44a9f6f985ba6cf2743.PNG

Before trying to replicate an effect like this, I would suggest to study how the solver works and the basics of smoke / pyro simulations. First look at your photos I'd say, most of the time if you feed the solver rubbish, rubbish will come out of the solver too, so make sure your source works well enough to produce good results. Also simulating with 10th scale might produce issues if you don't resolve the timescale correctly. Solver will try and solve the smoke the way it would work in real life, but you can't really increase the size of your source to 1 kilometre in your scene due to the performance issues you will have. You can tackle that with Timescale parameter to either slow down the simulation as that will give the impression of the smoke simulation being bigger in scale even though the scale in Houdini might just be 10x10m. Study basics first and then tackle harder things, you'll do yourself a favor.

Hope this helps!

On 7/11/2019 at 8:13 AM, char said:

Before trying to replicate an effect like this, I would suggest to study how the solver works and the basics of smoke / pyro simulations. First look at your photos I'd say, most of the time if you feed the solver rubbish, rubbish will come out of the solver too, so make sure your source works well enough to produce good results. Also simulating with 10th scale might produce issues if you don't resolve the timescale correctly. Solver will try and solve the smoke the way it would work in real life, but you can't really increase the size of your source to 1 kilometre in your scene due to the performance issues you will have. You can tackle that with Timescale parameter to either slow down the simulation as that will give the impression of the smoke simulation being bigger in scale even though the scale in Houdini might just be 10x10m. Study basics first and then tackle harder things, you'll do yourself a favor.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for your reply. You are totally right in everything. It might have to do with the source because this artifacts only appear at large scales. Ill try with time scale. The only thing that bothers me is that doing it at 1/100th of the real scale will produce not so realistic smoke and I am trying to avoid doing so. I would love to know why my source is wrong. Maybe I need different nodes since the tutorial I watched used the older source/pyro workflow. As I said. I am new to this. Maybe if you had a couple of minutes you could try pointing out my problem. I am going about to go back to the pc so I will try working my way out of this problem. If I manage to achieve something I will update you. Thanks for your reply and I hope that you have the time to check at the .hip. anyways. Thanks a lot :)