Attribute vop point smoothing/blurring

luidox

Hello all, 

a very basic question I hope... I have a bunch of noises added and multiplied together inside of an attribute Vop and I am trying take that result and smooth/blur it. Much like you would do with an attribute blur or smooth node outside the VOP network. I’m trying to keep this result inside the attribute VOP network though.  

how is this done? Is this even possible?

Edited by luidox

it's not possible to efficiently blur within a single wrangle, since you can't access the results of other points (and doing it in detail wrangle and keeping track of value using arrays would probably be overkill also not very efficient)

I'd use Attrib Blur as that's using OpenCL so possibly the fastest 

• Confused 1

That means any result from creating a pattern has to be assembled incrementally. Point vop pattern, then attribute blur, then ANOTHER point vop to add more detail on top. That in its self seems tedious. Surely this isn’t that hard.  Even the ramps node has a “blur” slider and it runs fine.  

Edited by luidox

Well, if it's just about blurring pattern values together and not iteratively smooth previous results, you can sample that pattern on multiple positions per point and get some weighted average of the values depending on kernel you want, but that may be even more tedious and less efficient depending on how complex the pattern function is

Edited by anim

1 minute ago, flcc said:

Don't know what you're trying to achieve, but it looks like it's can be done in COP.

I’m trying to achieve a smooth geometry result inside a single attribute vop node network.  

imagine Worley, voronoi and unified static added together with the add node.  Then I want a node after that to smooth the geo after those noises.  Then I want to continue adding more noises.  I’m trying to treat a vop network as an enclosed work environment with minimal dipping outside that.  

I don't understand why this must be done in a single VOP network...? Like Tomas said, VOPs run in parallel over all points so you can't really smooth your geo between noises. You either need to add up all your noises and then blur at once, or apply blurs in between noise stages. If you really need to keep the appearance of a single work environment and you're good with Python, you could of course wrap this whole process into a single HDA and use a multiparm block to create new noise functions and associated blurs upon user demand.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, luidox said:

I’m trying to achieve a smooth geometry result inside a single attribute vop node network.  

imagine Worley, voronoi and unified static added together with the add node.  Then I want a node after that to smooth the geo after those noises.  Then I want to continue adding more noises.  I’m trying to treat a vop network as an enclosed work environment with minimal dipping outside that.  

You can do fake derivatives similar to how Deformation Wrangle works but it will be 6 times slower. I would just go for OpenCL or use AttribBlur if not feeling brave :)

• Thanks 1

Atm I can’t visually show.   Let me ask this instead.  I have 2 attribVops. One has a unified noise.  The other has a Worley noise. I want to plug both into another attribute vop (inputs 0, and 1) and use that vop to blend them together with add, multiply, average or what ever. How do I do this in a vop??

Edited by luidox
  • Downvote 1

VOPs don't work in a vacuum; they modify geometry. If you want to combine the results of multiple VOPs, you'd have to either daisy chain multiple VOPs that all bound the noise function to a geometry attribute, or import some kind of attribute from both VOPs so that you know what the value is you're trying to read in. I'm attaching both approaches.

layering_noise.hip