Melting geometry, UV issue...

Masoud

9 hours ago, Atom said:

One way is to try the opposite approach. Instead of trying to copy your UVs to new geometry, use the new geometry to deform the source model, which already has "good" UVs in place.

Untitled-1.jpg

ap_UV_Melting_010120.hipnc

Hi "Atom",

Thanks for reply, but I want to use that workflow in a Flip-Fluid simulation, so deforming the geometry using a "Point Deform" SOP, seems not a good idea.

I went through this, trying to melt an iPhone model. Basically you promote all attributes to point, then after the simulation, you promote the attributes back to their appropriate context (i.e. UVs->Points->Vertex). Make sure you adjust the attribute forwarding fields on the compress node, as well as the surfacing node.

it's different since transferring vertex UVs is not trivial and Attribute Transfer uses very naive approach that it guaranteed to not work if you have any seams 

the reason is that at the seam 2 or more vertices attached to the same point have different UV values, however since Attribute Transfer uses spatial proximity to sample values it will assign the same value to all vertices that share a point since they have the same P

you may have more success with GameDev UV Transfer