Water/whitewater flicker with redshift

Hey guys,

I rendered this with Redshift and I'm having a weird flicker on the right :

I don't know from where it's coming, since I don't have it when I render without the foam. I start to think that it comes from the whitewater coming at a high speed from underwater and popping to the surface, but I'm not sure

I can't share the file for now, but if anyone has been through this and have a solution I'll be glad to hear it !

I had something that looked a little bit like this, it was a problem with normal build-up. But here it's different, I don't think it comes from the speed of the particles because if you look carefully some glitchs happen also on the left and are perfectly synchronized with those on the right. At frame 19 for example, it's clearly visible.
May be you best to ask on the redshift forum because even if it's not a bug, it's weird.
If you use the last 3.0x version I see that somes are artifact problems using sss, what I guess your water use.

PS : The fact that the problem happens on the whole image at the same time makes me think about  post fx, do you use it?

2 hours ago, flcc said:

I had something that looked a little bit like this, it was a problem with normal build-up. But here it's different, I don't think it comes from the speed of the particles because if you look carefully some glitchs happen also on the left and are perfectly synchronized with those on the right. At frame 19 for example, it's clearly visible.
May be you best to ask on the redshift forum because even if it's not a bug, it's weird.
If you use the last 3.0x version I see that somes are artifact problems using sss, what I guess your water use.

PS : The fact that the problem happens on the whole image at the same time makes me think about  post fx, do you use it?

I'm using sss only in the whitewater shader, but not with the water itself, and i'm not using postfx. I try to rerender without SSS and see what it gives me ! 

Cheers,

10 minutes ago, kiryha said:

Also, you may render with AOVs (passes) and it can help to understand which part of the shading produce an issue.

Yes sure I've added some, but in the first render I thought it wasn't necessary since I didn't expect to get some flicker..

So if anyone wants the solution, the flickering was coming from the refraction pass, somehow some particles were disappearing and reappearing. I increased the refraction trace depth and it solved the problem.

I'll be reuploading the river soon so you'll see !

Cheers,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1