New Pyro Solver (Sparse) and Micro Solvers

mois23

Hello guys,

Just a quick question. I'm studying new Sparse system for Pyro Solver in H18. First change I could see is that Pyro Solver sparse has 4 inputs rather than 5 and “Velocity Update” input is missing.

Let's say I want to use a Gas Disturbance micro solver for sparse smoke. How I can connect it to the solver?

“Shape” tab in the solver already has a Disturbance option. But, of course, the result is different if I use only the Micro Solver connected to the last input (Forces). So I guess, this approach is wrong.

How I can achieve same result using only Micro Solvers? And, first of all.. Does new Sparse Solver allow to use micro solvers?

Many thanks!

Yes, Sparse solver allows the use of micro solvers. You should connect them into "Forces" input, so your approach is right.

If you want to achieve similar results between "Disturbance" in Shape tab and "Gas Disturbance" micro solver, make sure you compare the settings in "Disturbance" tab under the "Shape" tab and your microsolver's settings. 

On 3/17/2020 at 12:31 PM, mois23 said:

I'm studying new Sparse system for Pyro Solver in H18

in that case just dive inside of Pyro Solver (Sparse) DOP,  you'll discover that it's just an HDA containing Smoke Solver (Sparse) and bunch of Microsolvers plugged to it, Disturbance is one of the microsolvers and you'll see it plugged into Forces of Smoke Solver, and also pyro's Forces input merged with it, so one look inside immediately answers all your questions

result can be different however even with the same settings, as you can see there is Shredding and Turbulence in the way, so using Disturbance in Shaping tab applies it before those 2, using the same Disturbance in Forces input will apply in after those 2, and since all of them modify vel field and disturbance depends on speed of incoming vel, results may differ depending on the order

• Like 1

Something else to keep in mind. Shredding in the sparse solver is completely different from what it was in the legacy solver. Shredding in the sparse is using the gas disturb dop

to rotate the velocity vectors inside the "flame" field (the "heat" field has been renamed to "flame").