RBD to Vellum

yeteatime

Hi! Houdini beginner here.

I'm trying to make a bookshelf / pages explode. I set up RBD sim, which works fine. But as soon as I attach the vellum solver to sim it after the dop import, the papers just fall to the ground, no RBD sim info.

I've tried putting the vellum constraints, pack it before the RBD sim, RBD, DOP import, unpack, and vellum solver afterwards. And vice versa, I've tried vellum solver before putting it into RBD, but so far no luck.

How can I fix this or is there a better approach to this? (book_question_forum.hipnc)

Thank you so much!

Edited by yeteatime

Vellum will simply take geo at the start frame and runs with it, there are no velocities at the first frame so it just falls down

you can use Vellum Pin Constraint for example Stopped and Match To Animation, which will try to match the animation of your incoming RBD sim

then inside of the Vellum Solver you can unpin any point at any time you want, in the example file I'm unpinning all after frame 10, but you can art direct it per page or even per point, or based on attributes if you for example have attribute that specifies time since the page was moved, etc...

book_question_forum_fix.hipnc

• Like 2

just my 2 cents on prep stage...sure I don't know what else you got planned but for me:

- have a page

- copytransform across

-copytransform up

done, you can have any count in any direction, spacing...blah blah...in 2 nodes.

- or could even just copy to points of one grid (the grid gives you all the dims of a book shelf you need, why bother with measure, it's all in the dims of the grid)

• Like 1

On 3/25/2020 at 3:44 PM, anim said:

Vellum will simply take geo at the start frame and runs with it, there are no velocities at the first frame so it just falls down

you can use Vellum Pin Constraint for example Stopped and Match To Animation, which will try to match the animation of your incoming RBD sim

then inside of the Vellum Solver you can unpin any point at any time you want, in the example file I'm unpinning all after frame 10, but you can art direct it per page or even per point, or based on attributes if you for example have attribute that specifies time since the page was moved, etc...

book_question_forum_fix.hipnc

Thank you so much! It worked great. I was stuck on this for a week! Now I can continue on.

On 3/25/2020 at 4:03 PM, Noobini said:

just my 2 cents on prep stage...sure I don't know what else you got planned but for me:

- have a page

- copytransform across

-copytransform up

done, you can have any count in any direction, spacing...blah blah...in 2 nodes.

- or could even just copy to points of one grid (the grid gives you all the dims of a book shelf you need, why bother with measure, it's all in the dims of the grid)

Your set up does sound cleaner and simpler! I have a bookshelf setup already, so I made the book pages based on that set up... But I will give your suggestion a shot to simplify my scene.... Thank you so much!