how to separate geo from a single node?

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to do something quite simple but i'm struggling with it. I have an imported pile of sticks, i want to take this pile and copy each stick to a different point on a grid, i know how to do this using the method of having each stick have its own geo node and pluging those into a switch and copy stamping them onto a grid, but i want to achieve this result without having each stick be its own node, as there are 214 individuals this would make for a very crowded network. Could anybody help me out? 

I have attatched my current set up, I am guessing I need to specify in the copy stamp that for each point it needs to select one of the 214 points which are being fed into it, but i'm not sure how to command this expression?

Thanks in advance!

Dbrs_wood_twig_T_rfkkwaa_LOD0.obj

Capture.JPG

Edited by Hayden

1 hour ago, anim said:

in H18 just use variant attribute to pick which packed primitive to copy onto point

see the example (points have just variant attrib to illustrate, but obviously vary pscale, orient, etc as you need)

ts_copy_random_stick.hip

Thanks Tomas! I have looked through your scene and understand how you are getting the variant attrib, but i'm struggling to work out how to use that value to tell the copy to points which value it should use for each point, at the moment I am still getting either the whole pile or the same 1 stick on each point, how do i give a different variant attrib to each scatter point?

Thanks

Capture.JPG

50 minutes ago, Hayden said:

I have looked through your scene and understand how you are getting the variant attrib, but i'm struggling to work out how to use that value to tell the copy to points which value it should use for each point

in other words you are not using H18 if the file didnt work for you