Abstracting a bunch of photos in TOPs

I have assigned a SOPs and COPs converter to TOPs that turns dozens of photos into abstract images.

portait_art.thumb.jpg.81a331fcf9f3b435c53037182f27edfe.jpg 

While not every output is exactly a master piece, it can at least cluster the most prominent image colors:

painting.ropcomposite1_ropfetch1_1_151.jpg.bde007abd2dde939f0699fbf0ae904d2.jpg   painting.ropcomposite1_ropfetch1_1_177.jpg.686a8199a372ecd4d4fa50e78d0bdfc6.jpg   painting.ropcomposite1_ropfetch1_1_176.jpg.61b5694caf3356035f01268af9433fbb.jpg

Technically it's using the resample node`s curve u attribute along with a play on distances from prim uv and some noise.

painting.hipnc

Edited by konstantin magnus
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I heard oil paintings are a thing right now. ;) Here is a initial setup (still lacking all micro details and sweep strokes):

oil_painting.jpg.ff923fb9cd0469499c9fabce24e64ed0.jpg

Original procedure developed by Will Macneill: http://www.willmacneil.com/portfolio/oil-painting-the-houdini-way

oil_painting5.jpg.d038dc8d8c05ddd7cc8aa178dc5928eb.jpg

painting_2.hipnc

Edited by konstantin magnus
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• 1 month later...

I did something similar on my own for a leaning exercice . Without talking about building the sweep, one thing which i have seen much yet and which will it bring it to the next level is taking care of the paint wetness and canvas pattern.

And trying to find a possible esthetic algorithm which will mimic in which area an artist will decide oo use a dry sharp brush and when to use a wet smooth brush... Definitely an interest area of research here

vince*

http://fr.linkedin.com/in/vincentthomas