What the...

Stremik

I've stumbled upon that once aswell.

But, "lawsuit"? Geez, it's just a name. And they aren't even competing in that same sort of industry. Ok, it's both "3D"... but there's a huge difference between technical/mechanical/industrial 3D; CAD/CAM (etc.) and broadcast/film 3D; post-production/special effects (etc.)

Or am I completely wrong here?

hehe, well, I think that a lot of people in this industry (clients? students?) rely heavily on cool 'keywords', like Maya, Renderman, even Houdini. Nothing makes a client happier than letting you know you need to change the bezierness of that specularity. And it can get confusing if there's 2 houdinis. But I'm sure they can figure things out without a lawsuit.

:ph34r:

hehe, well, I think that a lot of people in this industry (clients? students?) rely heavily on cool 'keywords', like Maya, Renderman, even Houdini. Nothing makes a client happier than letting you know you need to change the bezierness of that specularity. And it can get confusing if there's 2 houdinis. But I'm sure they can figure things out without a lawsuit.

:ph34r:

Hahaha, are you kidding me? There are people actually actracted to names and named features?

That's pretty pathetic if you ask me. (No offence, of course)

Well. I don't know about lawsuit but confusion,...yes.

The first time I came upon this page I spent about 10 minutes trying to figure out how I can do that excersize in Houdini. (The one that "we all know and love", that is)

I'm not really folowing you now ...

hmm.... well I was just envisioning a time when a certain package called itself "Sumatra" (I've still got two t-shirts a baseball cap and a bag with the name on it). And then were sued because the name was already taken.

While 'lawsuit' may be a strong word, I definitely think there will be lawyers involved at some point. I doubt the company will just say "oh sure, sorry about that. We'll change our name then... "

Unless of course they had it first :). In which case we might be using a package called 'mud' soon.

:D

Marc